Whats up with ammo ( again )

This is a discussion on Whats up with ammo ( again ) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod Yes....again....election year. High cap magazines and ammo top the market. Forget food and water in prep for the upcoming end ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Whats up with ammo ( again )

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Yes....again....election year. High cap magazines and ammo top the market. Forget food and water in prep for the upcoming end of the world in December.......hey....priorities right? LOL!
    Well, here we are again discussing why folks wait until the last minute and like to panic while suppliers and manufacturers make more trips to the bank. I guess that keeps life interesting for some. History repeats itself and we seem to have short memories (some of us).

"I hate when this happens" I can predict it and it will happen again at some point (you'll have to read my book once I write it and have it published).
    "I thought we were past this" Are you depending on others to get past this? Forget depending on others.......we are not a team, we're just we.
    "My game plan"? Again.......if you would have read my book (which is still a future goal of mine), you'd know how to plan a better game.
    Stay tuned.
    WORD!!!!!! "I've got 10,000 rnds of ammo" - water? "no", food? "no"
    I've actually started a good little stash of water, now to start a stash of non perishable food. How long do people think they can survive without food and water? But sure they've got thousands of rounds. How many rounds do you actually think your gonna need to pump into BGs?
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

2. Remove Ads

I've reloaded for over 40 years and have always had components to load what I shoot and then some. I've usually got about 10-15,000 loaded rounds but then again I shoot trap, rifle an pistol competetion at least 3 times a month. I also buy components on a monthly basis and sometimes you don't realize there is a gradual increase in prices. The last 4 years have been nuts.

I may have heard wrong but wasn't the ammo loaded with a limited life primers? That would seem like a time wasted hoarding.

Nov.4,2012!

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WillyNilly View Post
    I may have heard wrong but wasn't the ammo loaded with a limited life primers? That would seem like a time wasted hoarding.
    ?

I shot a few 9mm reloads I made in 1990 a couple of weeks ago.

I think the "lead free" ammunition might have a shorter shelf life?
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by WillyNilly View Post
    Not at all. Keep it cool and dry and it's fine. I'm continually using it and replenishing it. My "stash" is probably enough to load another 10-15,000, but shooting 200 or so rounds a week it could carry me through some tough times. Some may call it hoarding but to an avid shooter, its just the way it's done. I can count a couple of dozen others I know that have just as much. We don't save as much as we used to but it's a way of life for a shooter

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Nov.4,2012!
    I think you mean November 6, 2012

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    I think you mean November 6, 2012
    he votes absent ballot

I haven't really noticed ammo drying up here but I honestly don't pay that much attention to it because I stockpiled it several years back, I bought my calibers whenever I found a good deal.

Guns may be a different matter though. When I ordered a S&W M&P at the LGS recently, the owners wife called 4 of their distributors and none of them had any in stock so I'm kinda' on a waiting list.

The owner who I've known since the late 1970's said that it is starting to become difficult to get some types of guns. He mentioned that a couple of months ago he could get on the phone and order just about anything and have it in a couple of days but lately he's having to wait for S&W's, Glocks etc. and I don't doubt his word a bit.

Granted this is a small Mom and Pop store and bigger dealers are probably at the top of the list for receiving stuff.

VIP Member
    If you shoot in matches you need to have a lot of ammo on hand (or make alot). That seems to be my problem with the matches I need ammo and compenents and the prices and inventory levels are a concern right now. Plus all of the spin with the movie shooting.

Best business to be in during a recession is guns and ammo. I have noticed a slight drop in stocked ammo at WW but other places seem to be ok for now. I've been buying here and there since the last "time."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

With all the shootings lately they are once again talking stricter gun laws & gun owners are stocking up on ammo!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links