PPU ammo question

This is a discussion on PPU ammo question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at my local Walmart today and they received a shipment of 45acp PPU ammo that is manufactured in Serbia, it runs $19.97 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPU ammo question

PPU ammo question

I was at my local Walmart today and they received a shipment of 45acp PPU ammo that is manufactured in Serbia, it runs $19.97 for a box of 50. Has anyone had any experience with this ammo and what are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I don't have personal experience from PPU, but from everything I have read on reviews it is excellent ammo for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it.

If you want an even lower cost option that is domestically produced and brass cased, buy these. PSA has free shipping right now and a very good price. Just be warned, you might have to wait a few weeks to receive it. CCI BLAZER BRASS .45 ACP 230GR FMJ 5230 - .45 ACP - Handgun Ammunition - Ammunition
    I am very happy with the Blazer Brass I have used in .40.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I bought a case of their 10mm rounds a while back and made it through 951 rounds without issue. It was weak (very weak) but accurate. Round 952 was a double charged round. Hot powder to the face, red cocobola grips split in half and dented mag lips. Still have the remaining 48 rounds and will not shoot them. Thankfully I didn't shoot that box first out of the case or I would be sitting on 998 rounds of PPU ammo.

That's my personal experience with it. Others may differ.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

After reading alot about ammo thats made overseas, I will not shoot it in my guns anymore, just not worth it... Id rather spend a few extra dollars and get a name brand, even though it can have problems also, but much easier to get in touch with the MFG...

i think the PPU is the same as the magtec ammos

I have shot quite a bit of PPU in 9mm and never had a problem.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I take very seriously what Deadguy had to say. Sort of startling and sobering. It now causes me to wonder if other cases such as 9mm or 40 S&W are large enough to take a double charge. In the past, I have always worried more about squib rounds than over charging. Having done a lot of reloading in the distant past, I know that part of the answer would be the type of power used, i.e. the bulk of the powder.

Mr. Mac

No problems with PPU ammunition and I will buy it because it is so cheap. I have a M&P 40c and the 180gr PPU FMJ has a soft push like recoil.

It's good to go in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I bought a case of their 10mm rounds a while back and made it through 951 rounds without issue. It was weak (very weak) but accurate. Round 952 was a double charged round. Hot powder to the face, red cocobola grips split in half and dented mag lips. Still have the remaining 48 rounds and will not shoot them. Thankfully I didn't shoot that box first out of the case or I would be sitting on 998 rounds of PPU ammo.

That's my personal experience with it. Others may differ.
    How do you know it was a double charge and not a weak case?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I've had weak cases in 40 blow and 1 in 45 blow,The 45 destroyed the magazine blew the follower down and jammed everything up and split one wood grip while blowing hot powder and gases back in my face I'm pretty sure a double charged round would create one heck of a recoil and possibly jam the slide to the rear if not blowing the barrel up and creating a very noticeable flinch for awhile,the 40's blew crap back in my face smoked up the ammo in the mag and on my sig 229 blew the extractor off,I know for a fact they weren't double charged or over charged,I no longer use one powder for 40 since it seemed to cause the most problems.In just about every powder I use for 9/40/45 the only case that won't overflow with a double charge is the 45 acp.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The damage done was indicative of a double charge. Not to mention the force felt in my hands. PPU is weak ammo, especially in 10mm. Comparable to a soft 9mm from a 1911.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344074331.356334.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344074341.067397.jpg
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

My issue with off brand ammo is this. I store a lot of what I buy. I do not think the world is going to end. I do however wish to be prepared for what may never come.
    I want to know the rounds I have boxed up will work when I need them. It would be a real let down to pull them out some years down the road and find they are poor quality.
    For that reason I tend to stick with brands I know.
    For that reason I have avoided them.

PPU 10 mm ammo

Hi, just joined. Was wondering if anyone weighed any of the 10mm ammo after the bad experience with the round in question (the one that blew-up). I bought some Indian 7.62x51 from Wideners over 10 years ago, that was supposed to have been manufactured on Radway Green equipment in India around 1986. It was said to be very good ammo, but I shot some in my HK 91, and had a squib that got lodged in the barrel, thank the powers that be, my brother recognized the situation before I could pull the trigger again. We got the bullet out OK, but we weighed the rest, and I'll be dammed, some weighed quite a bit more than others, and some weighed a lot less. We pulled the bullets, over 1550 rounds, and reloaded them. Maybe the quality control on the PPU 10mm leaves something to be desired. By the way, I have 500 rounds of the stuff, I bought for around $19.75/50 rnds. Now i am somewhat afraid to shoot it. Maybe I'll weigh them before I shoot them. Thanks

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    No problems shooting PPU .380 out of our Bersa's.

Quote Originally Posted by TTPower View Post
    i think the PPU is the same as the magtec ammos
    I don't think so. PPU is made in Serbia, while Magtec is made in the USA and Brazil. CBC also owns companies in Germany and the Czech Republic, so it's possible they're selling some European stuff under the Magtec label, but I don't think PPU is one of their brands.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links