Black Hills Ammo ?

Black Hills Ammo ?

This is a discussion on Black Hills Ammo ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; need input to see if anyone uses Black Hills ammo sold by Wilson Combat ? I am looking at the 230 grain 45 cal in ...

Thread: Black Hills Ammo ?

Black Hills Ammo ?

need input to see if anyone uses Black Hills ammo sold by Wilson Combat ?

I am looking at the 230 grain 45 cal in both JHP and FMJ for use in my Kimber Tactical Ultra II, 3 inch barrel.

Any thoughts, test results, etc?

Black Hills

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    need input to see if anyone uses Black Hills ammo sold by Wilson Combat ?

I am looking at the 230 grain 45 cal in both JHP and FMJ for use in my Kimber Tactical Ultra II, 3 inch barrel.

I wasn't aware that Wilson is selling Black Hills ammo. I generally order bulk for target practice, both 9mm luger factory loaded and factory reloaded, and .45 ACP FMJ for suppressed shooting with the Mk23 and a Sig P220 that has a Jarvis threaded barrel for the suppressor.

Black Hills ammo is superb quality, although a bit on the "COLD" side for velocity. At least they are not making claims for "High Energy" ammo as some other manufacturers do (insert your preferred exotic ammo name) www.black-hills.com

As for test results, Black Hills seem to be as accurate as any other high end brand. Noticably there is little muzzle flash in low light and dark conditions. I suppose they are using more flash suppressant as filler and forgoing trying to hit the edge of the envelope for velocity. Brass cased, crimped primers, and bonded with copper...............It's good stuff, not the best, but better than WWB, or Remington Green box at Wall Mart. For the price, in bulk, it's my #1 choice for target practice.

Any thoughts, test results, etc?
    Good Luck
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Do you guys know what bullet they use in their "Factory New" JHP?

It used to be the speer gold dot. Better to check their web site to make sure.

John!

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    While I'm aware this is a .45acp thread, the statement that "Black Hills ammo is superb quality, although a bit on the "COLD" side for velocity" caught my attention.

In 9mm, the Black Hills loading of the 124gr GD sizzles along at about 1250fps from a 4" barrel. Add 25-50fps onto that for a 5".

I would trust it, though from a 3" barrelled .45, I'd likely go with a lighter weight.

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    I would trust it, though from a 3" barrelled .45, I'd likely go with a lighter weight.

Josh <><
    What lighter weight would you recommend, Josh ?

Thanks everyone !

JD
    Administrator
    I'd go with 185gr or 200gr.

I've had great luck with the 115gr
    +P 9mm and 125gr +P 38spl from
    Black hills.Both of these loads use
    the Speer gold dot bullets and are
    loaded faster than most.1300 fps
    for the 9mm and 1050 fps for the
    38spl,both from 4' barrels.Black
    hills uses both GD's and XTP's
    depending on the load.

Quote Originally Posted by johns961 View Post
    It used to be the speer gold dot. Better to check their web site to make sure.

John!
    Thanks, I couldn't find it on the website. The recipe part is under construction.

Been using Black Hills 230gr. JHP for about 2 yrs. now. So far I have no complaints. It is the Gold Dot bullet. It feeds fine and is accurate. l have it in both my Wilson Protector and CQB Compact. I haven't had to shoot anybody so can't comment on effectiveness!

I actually live a few hours away from the Black Hills factory, and bring in state, I thought I'd support them. I had a box of Speer Gold Dot 124 +ps in 9mm, And I shot the rest of them, and went to buy a new box at the gun shop, they don't carry them anymore, no call in this area. So, I had heard good things about Black Hills, so I called them up to bend their ear for a minute or two.

The man I spoke with was very freindly, and helpful, and obviously a gun guy, he told me that they run quality control checks daily on every batch of ammo they make, and they pride themselves on quality.

I spoke with him about the Speer bullets, and loads, Versus the Black Hills loads. He said until this spring, the 9mms were loaded with the Gold Dot, but I believe he said because of supply, they switched to Hornady XTPs in that load anyway. He said they really liked the Speer Bullets, and liked the Hornadys as well, and said even though they are not as dome shaped (which, IMO, would feed easier) as the Gold Dots, the more come shaped XTPs were performing very well in thier tests, and few reliably, and were not coming apart in testing.

I am a pretty big fan of the Gold Dot, just because I guess the magazines and internet say I should be, and I've heard the XTP isn't bonded as well as the Gold Dots, so I'm a *little* reluctant to switch, but I have no reason not to be I suppose.

Shooting-- I had some Winchester 115 FMJ walmart specials, the remaining Speer 124s +ps, and a new box of Black Hills 115 +ps, that were a little older, maybe 8 months, so they still had the Gold Dots instead of XTPs. I shot them, there was a marked difference, obviously, between the +P and the FMJs, but IMO, the 115 Black Hills seemed hotter than the Speer loads, by the Chronograph in my hand.

I have heard nothing bad about Black Hills, and they feed well, although they are a little shorter than the Speers were, and are plenty hot, 1300fps, 430 ft lbs, 4" barrel, I think that's pretty hot. The Speers punched through 4 layers of steel on an old pickup box out behind the barn, and turned into a perfectly mushroomed bullet, I found it in the dirt behind the box, I was quite impressed, and that was a 115. 124's performed the same, but couldn't find the bullet to compare, I'm sure it would have looked the same, no weight loss.

Anyway, I recommend them from A-a friendly person to talk to at the factory, and B-being from my state. And a good reputation, for power and accuracy. If I ever find anything contrary, I'll let you know! Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

Sponsored Links