Wet Ammo?

This is a discussion on Wet Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I was camping this past weekend, and the people I was with had the bright idea of going on a 5 mile hike the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Wet Ammo?

Wet Ammo?

So, I was camping this past weekend, and the people I was with had the bright idea of going on a 5 mile hike the day after it rained 2 inches. The brush was soaked, and, as a result, so was i. My extra mag, with corbon .380 jhp was in my waterlogged pants. Is the ammo still ok to use as defensive ammo, or should I use it for practice at the range?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

I've been over waist deep in the river with my G27 and ammo. No worries. I would however make a point of shooting that ammo at your next range session since you'll never feel totally comfortable with carrying it since this happened.

don't bet your life on it. and watch for squib loads if you are gonna shoot it at the range.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I have carried a weapon loaded and 210 plus rounds on me in rain storms. I have gotten soaked while CC on my motorcycle.
    Not saying it can't happen but I have never had water cause a round to fail.
    That said to be on the safe side the rounds in my CC that get soaked are replaced and the wet ones used for target shooting.
    A much bigger threat is oil

IMHO the ammo would have to be submerged in water for days.just think the primer is forced into the pocket for a tight seal even from the expanding gases when fired,the bullet is also crimped into place that makes a virtual water tight seal.Only rounds I ever had mess up were shotgun rounds when I was duck hunting and my shells got submerged wading out to the blind,The shells that were factory sealed against water shot great,the ones that didn't have a sealed crimp did fire but was more like barfing out the shot and unburnt powder about 10 feet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I thought that they would be fine, but wanted to double check... I was afraid of hearing a click when I was expecting a bang.
    sid1 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I thought about this also after getting caught in a heavy rain on the bike and just how much it would handle.
    I myself didnt take the chance and fired at the range the following day without a problem.

i wash and dryed one mag full of 380. had some of the best looking rounds after the wash/dry. they shot just like new. so your ammo is ok.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i wash and dryed one mag full of 380. had some of the best looking rounds after the wash/dry. they shot just like new. so your ammo is ok.
    LOL! well that is one way to polish your brass.

I actually almost washed this same mag of ammo, but double checked my pants pockets before putting them in the wash (I usually don't carry anything in the pocket in question, so I wasn't expecting my mag to be there).

Senior Moderator
    I've washed some speed strips of 38 before and they shot fine
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

When I was in the Army, anytime the ammo got wet we took the day off. Carry on soldier.
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    don't bet your life on it. and watch for squib loads if you are gonna shoot it at the range.
    ^^^ What he said!

Just because some ammo is pretty well sealed against water, and/or some folks have been lucky doesn't mean that every cartridge will come through a soaking unaffected. Use it up at the range, keeping in mind that a squib during rapid fire can really ruin your day.

Regards,
    Jim

I would use it for range ammo. My wife has washed and dried ammo at least three this year (around 75 rounds total), they all fired just fine. I would not carry them for defense purpose. I would not allow anyone else to shoot them incase of a squib.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

+1 on just using it for range ammo. Otherwise you will always have that doubt in the back of your head.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

For ammo I don't want wet, use George and Roy's primer sealant. Some folks use fingernail polish over the primer but I've heard if it gets in your primer, the primer may not fire.
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links