What ammo do you use in your LCP?

This is a discussion on What ammo do you use in your LCP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I just picked up a ruger LCP this past weekend as a summer ccw and I was hoping to get some insight on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What ammo do you use in your LCP?

Hi all,
    I just picked up a ruger LCP this past weekend as a summer ccw and I was hoping to get some insight on what other lcp owners (or people who have had experience with them would recommend) are carrying in their guns & if it is feeding & functioning reliably for them. Now that I have purchased a lcp I want to know what runs good through these guns as far as a defensive round either hollow point or a hard cast bullet. That being said has anyone had a chance to shoot the buffalo bore standard pressure 100gr hard cast ammo at all? I'm just trying to eliminate some of the " not so good" ammo off of the list so I don't end up wasting a ton of money trying to find something that will work good in the lcp for defense if god forbid its ever needed ( you can't beat the size & weight of these things for a throw in your pocket and go gun). I realize this is a " niche" gun which fits its purpose quite well, so please do not beat me up about the 380acp being anemic, after all being anemic is better than having no blood at all....
    Thanks
    G

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I've found that the majority of people with LCPs use Critical Defense, as do I.

Also, no one will give you a hard time about .380 here, a lot of us own .380s, they do the job.
    daveb413 likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

380 is a good CC daughter carries one all the time . I do when i was smaller and lighter.
    We go with a 95gr flat nose.
    steel house door with that round.

Gold Dot 90 grain is what I carry.
    surefire7 likes this.

My wifes LCP is loaded with Winchester Ranger T's and Federal HydraShocks... both perform outstanding in the LCP, I had gotten her some Critical Defense but after doing some testing into the balistic Gel, wont be using that crap any more, had one round that failed to open, and anther that was not loaded with enough powder it went puff and smoked and luckily the bullet made it out the barrel all it did was leave a outline where the round hit the gel... so im staying away from Hornadys... LOL....

For the range I've used PMC & Magtech with zero issues and for carry I use Federal 90gr Hydra-Shok. So far since I've owned it I have approx. 400 rounds through my LCP without any malfunctions.

I use Hornady Critcal Defense in my LCP. With this hot weather we are having I don't think I would be CCWing if I did not have the LCP. Very easy to conceal in a Ramora IWB even with swim trunks and a t-shirt. When it cools down a bit (sweat shirt weather) I will again carry the Kahr CM9 with Hornady CD ammo.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

A poll, which .380 ACP round would you go with?

Speer Gold Dots (90gr) are what I carry in my LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    A poll, which .380 ACP round would you go with?

Speer Gold Dots (90gr) are what I carry in my LCP.
    Cool name there.

Hornady CD FTx' for first choice, followed by WWB 95 gr Flat Nose for Miss ElsiePea

Winchester PDX1
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I too have Hornady Critcal Defense.

Currently I carry with the Hornaday CD. I'm thinking about switching to the gold dots or Winchester PDX. CD ran with no issues as well as the 2 boxes of PDX. I tried the Rem. home defense round and i didn't care for it as it seemed to have lots of issues feeding. This may have been in part that it was still in the first 100 rounds. I want to try the Gold Dots as I have heard good things about them. Only time I had any issues was after 240 rounds with no cleaning, one mag had gummed up. I also have not done any mods and it still may be in the break-in period.

My LCP had one failure in the very first mag of ball, but can't remember if it was FTF or stovepipe. Since then it's been clear sailing, no problems whatsoever. After initial break-in with a couple boxes of ball, it now feeds anything and everything I have put in it. I used to carry Hornady CD, but I have switched to Ranger T. Never had any problems with the CD in the LCP, but my son had several problems with 45 ACP CD in a Kimber that has sucked up everything else, and that has kind of spooked me on Critical Defense in auto loaders. My wife carries .38 CD standard pressure in a Smith 642, so it's not the bullet performance I have a problem with, it's potential feeding issues in auto loaders.

Regarding the Ranger T, some say in 380 it doesn't penetrate enough, but I've seen a test in calibrated simtest, through 4 layers of denim that expanded to around .60, and 2 different shots both penetrated a little over 10 inches.
    NRA Life Member

Carry the Winchester white box Flat nose FMJ! in both my Ruger LCP and Smith and Wesson Body guard

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I carry Golden Sabers in my LCP when happens to be the chosen child of the day. I like the added weight of the Sabers, but honestly the different weights of the .380 are so close together that I doubt it makes a difference. Just use what works out of your gun and doesn't break the bank! Shoot safe.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links