.380 Range report

.380 Range report

This is a discussion on .380 Range report within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had to return Dad's Corvette today (been a fun 3 weeks while he was in Europe) and I took the time to try ...

Thread: .380 Range report

.380 Range report

So I had to return Dad's Corvette today (been a fun 3 weeks while he was in Europe) and I took the time to try out some new ammo. After seeing this .380 Full Metal Jacket in Ballistic Gel - YouTube I realized I need to stop carrying ball ammo in my Walther PPK I EDC in the summer, along with my LCP for the days when I can't even go IWB.
    Happy to say that Federal Premium Low Recoil Hydro Shocks and Winchester PDX1 bonded performed flawlessly. No feed issues, accuracy was great, actually I think the Federal feels better than shooting Ball. (Maybe the low recoil makes it easier to shoot or less anticipation of the round going off in such a small package)

Not looking for a caliber war here, just your experiences and thoughts. I had some trouble feeding the PPK hollow points earlier, I polished the feed ramp with my Dremmel.
    IMG_0545.jpg

The Vette on the left is his, 2001 with a 6 speed and 32,500 on the clock. The one on the right is actually a 64 with a 67 hood.

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    So I had to return Dad's Corvette today (been a fun 3 weeks while he was in Europe) and I took the time to try out some new ammo. After seeing this .380 Full Metal Jacket in Ballistic Gel - YouTube I realized I need to stop carrying ball ammo in my Walther PPK I EDC in the summer, along with my LCP for the days when I can't even go IWB.
    Happy to say that Federal Premium Low Recoil Hydro Shocks and Winchester PDX1 bonded performed flawlessly. No feed issues, accuracy was great, actually I think the Federal feels better than shooting Ball. (Maybe the low recoil makes it easier to shoot or less anticipation of the round going off in such a small package)

Not looking for a caliber war here, just your experiences and thoughts. I had some trouble feeding the PPK hollow points earlier, I polished the feed ramp with my Dremmel.
    IMG_0545.jpg

The Vette on the left is his, 2001 with a 6 speed and 32,500 on the clock. The one on the right is actually a 64 with a 67 hood.
    I almost had a heart attack when i read this haha scared me!

I should have mentioned he has 16 acres, I do not so I plink in the woods.

sgb
    You should go back to ball ammo and do further research on the terminal ballistics of the current .380acp JHP loads. You asked.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The .380 ACP is my last choice for going about armed but when it does go along it's stoked with flat nosed FMJ ammo. I'll take penetration over expansion with such a cartridge.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links