Theater ammo or some such

This is a discussion on Theater ammo or some such within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chaos,Tear Gas,people running past,you may be lucky if you get a clear shot at anything...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Theater ammo or some such

Chaos,Tear Gas,people running past,you may be lucky if you get a clear shot at anything
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TailRunner View Post
    Your Air marshal comment got me to wondering if a pack of amo I bought at a gun show was for real or hype. Some day I'll shoot a few at the range and see what the effects are on the target at close and slightly distant range. This is from their website, CorBon's Glaser Safety Slug:

The Glaser Safety Slug was designed in 1974 in response to the possibility of having to use a handgun on an airplane by the Sky Marshals. The concerns at that time were over penetration on soft tissue and ricochets on hard surfaces and possible overall excess penetration.

Today, Glaser offers this excellent performing round for civilian use. It is recommended for the urban dweller and anyone who is concerned with over penetration. Courthouse, hospital, amusement park and similar security agencies will also find that Glaser Safety Slug provides exactly what is needed.

Glaser Safety Slug works exactly as it was designed to do over 30 years ago. The Safety Slug uses a copper jacket and it is filled with a compressed load of either #12 or # 6 lead shot. It is then capped with a round polymer ball that enhances feeding and reloading.
    The Safety Slug bullet design assures that there will be no over penetration as well as reducing the likelihood of a ricochet on hard surfaces while still causing significant soft tissue destruction.

Glaser Safety Slug's features still make this a very good choice for personal protection whether in the home or on a crowded street.
    Reliable feeding and reloading
    Minimizes concerns with over penetration and ricochets on hard surfaces
    Excellent for close quarter security
    No. Glasers or any other similar light weight, high velocity fragmenting round from a handgun is garbage. I don't know of a single law enforcement agency that carries that crap. It is marketed towards mall ninjas and uninformed and easily misled consumers who are willing to pay a ridiculous price for what they believe is a miracle bullet that has no risk of collateral damage.

Federal Air Marshals carry Sig 229 handguns chambered in the very effective .357 Sig caliber with 125gr Gold Dots. Not exactly a low penetrating combination...

OP, as I'm sure you understand now, no traditional 9mm bullet design at handgun velocity is going to penetrate level II armor or better. If you could carry something along the line of the Swedish M39B round with a steel penetrator, then yes you would go through lots of body armor all day, but that isn't an option and would be pretty hazardous in most self defense situations in my opinion (I'm sure there are a few commandos here that would opt to carry it. You know, "penetration this... penetration that...)

Just carry the best JHP round you can.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links