best 22 ammo?

This is a discussion on best 22 ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would not laugh at a .22 for defense like alot do. My Ruger 22/45 can get off ten rounds in three seconds, faster than ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: best 22 ammo?

I would not laugh at a .22 for defense like alot do. My Ruger 22/45 can get off ten rounds in three seconds, faster than someones .45.

.22 are a nasty little round. They fragment also. My favourite round is the CCI Velociter.

Everyone should watch this. Plus this guy has the best ammo tests on youtube.

.22 Handgun for Self-Defense? CCI 40 gr Mini-Mag test - YouTube

2. Remove Ads

I'd probably go with stingers if I was using a 22
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    CCI Minimags or Stingers
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I'd avoid HP's (particularly warp-velocity ones) altogether...let alone the gimmick "frangementing" mall-ninja-neato bullets.

A good 40gr solid. The match-grade suggestion is good to get a more reliable primer.

Personally, if I needed to use a .22 for defense, the brick of Aguila HV solids I've got someplace would be my choice; I went most of the way through another one, and have not had a single misfire in any of my .22's.
    sgb likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    CCI Minimags or Stingers
    ^^^ Yep.

OK guys thanks for the input. I think I will buy a box of cci mini mags, and a box of stingers and check them both out.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

.22's are notorious for being ammo sensitive, I have had it both ways guns that will only fire one brand reliably and others that eat what ever I feed them. If I had to carry a .22 it would come down to what ammo runs the best in the gun. with it being a .22 a 500 round test cycle is only 20-30 bucks. I suggest the heaviest reliable round in your gun.

ELEY Tenex .22 ammunition - ELEY

Sure fire, extremely accurate and only 12 fps extreme variation in a personal chronograph test. Bit pricey though at $20 for a box of 50.

Eley Tenex Ammo 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Flat Nose
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

.22 ammo if very finicky depending what gun you use. You can use the best "defense" ammo possible but if it keeps jamming or misfeeding it is worthless. I use CCI mini mag in my Mark III and 10/22 and it eats it up...I have used otherr good ammo and have had feeding problems.

yes i will be doing extensive shooting of the gun in the first place, i bought it to be economical at the range and work on point shooting, and yes, at 7$ or so for 100 rds of each i will be doing a lot of shooting with the carry rounds.

The fragmented bullets are not a gimmick there amazing.......But i would only use them for small game. I would be using solid mini mags........

I agree with the recommendations to buy a BUNCH of different High Quality (no bulk) .22 LR ammo and see what shoots best in your gun. No gimmicks, no junk, no ammo with Zombies on the box. Reliability & accuracy are paramount in any carry gun. If you're gonna' pick a .22 for EDC, shot placement & split time becomes even more important. Just like any other CCW, buy the BEST, most PROVEN self-defense ammo you can find at any price. And practice, practice, practice...
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I typically only buy bulk 22 ammo and most of the time it is federal. CCI is supposed to be a higher quality round though. Sorry I can't help anymore.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

When I first started shooting rimfire ammo through my M&P22 I cheaped out and bought AE bulk ammo. After numerous FTF and FTE, I tried CCI Mini Mag 40 grain and haven't used anything else since. You get what you pay for.

no worries. the gun get's delivered tomorrow (at the ffl, then it is a 2 day, and probably another 3 because i get delayed every time). i am gonna try cci mini mag 40gr and cci stingers. hopefully they work well in it. i should emphasize this isn't a primary carry gun. i will just carry it as a bug if i think i need one until i buy a kel tec p3at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links