9mm 115gr Hornady Critical Defense issue today at the range - Page 2

9mm 115gr Hornady Critical Defense issue today at the range

This is a discussion on 9mm 115gr Hornady Critical Defense issue today at the range within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pretty common with Critical Defense. Two biggest causes of failures on this ammo have been hard primers that fail to ignite and the polymer tip ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 9mm 115gr Hornady Critical Defense issue today at the range

Pretty common with Critical Defense. Two biggest causes of failures on this ammo have been hard primers that fail to ignite and the polymer tip jamming on the feed ramp.
    Also google "DocTacDad Hog's Head Critical Defense." A 115gr CD round fired from an M&P 9mm was completely shredded by the facial bones of a hug, fragmenting into several pieces, failing to penetrate or expand, and losing over 15% of its total weight. Why would you voluntarily carry the stuff?

Google "critical defense light strike" and you'll find out more than you want to.

Now's a great time to pick a round that at least meets the FBI standards...
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    sgb likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Just another thought - your 39-2 is hardly a new gun. Obviously I have no idea what kind of use its seen, but the 39-2 model was last made in the late 70's. Unless you know this gun's history, it might be prudent to replace all the springs with fresh ones to be on the safe side.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My M39-2 that I purchased used a couple months ago was treated like any other used gun that I aquire.

It was totally torn down to every piece and cleaned and inspected, all springs replaced at that time(Wolff).
    Including magazine springs.

I am not too worried about a failure at the most inoportune time cause we all practice clearing the pistol and continuing on.

But when you get a bad primer in a 50rd lot, then I am concerned.

I personally have never experienced a primer not firing in supposedly top of the line factory and defense ammo, never.

There are a lot more out there to choose from and Hornady will not be on my list.

This was mainly a for your information post/ thread, nothing more and nothing less.

Thanks;
    Clarence
    Bullseye 2568-83x
    Distinguished Revolver #99
    E.I.C. 30pts.(need a hard leg)
    10z n Xs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links