FMJ or HP for .380 ACP?? - Page 2

FMJ or HP for .380 ACP??

This is a discussion on FMJ or HP for .380 ACP?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by multistage I run the 102 Golden Sabers as well. Same here! I load my Taurus TCP .380 with them. I figure if ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: FMJ or HP for .380 ACP??

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I run the 102 Golden Sabers as well.
    Same here! I load my Taurus TCP .380 with them. I figure if they don't expand, it still has brutal penetration. If they "flower", even better!

The recoil from such an "ultra compact" is pronounced!!
    If you can, try before you buy.

My petite wife can handle her LCP, but her limit is about 50 rounds per session. In contrast, I do not find the recoil to be an issue at all.

WWB 95 gr flat nose FMJ. I can afford to shoot enough of it to ensure reliable feeding. I seriously doubt many do that with the Buffalo Bore stuff. And there just is no need - the WWB gets 16 inches penetration.

You can see some tests at www.goldenloki.com
    sgb likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I currently have Hornaday CD in my LCP. I am thinking about switching to Gold Dots or Winchester PDX but indeed to get a few boxes through first. The Hornaday seems to recoil about the same as 95 hard ball while the PDX is a bit snappier. I haven't had the chance to shoot the Gold Dots yet. I will say that just about everything seemed snappy at first. I also tried the Remington HD and it wasn't much different than the ball either. I prefer to use these and give up a little penetration, over ball, but still think they are better then the traditional jhp which may or may not expand. For me all have functioned fine after the first 200 rounds of break in.

You might look for a range in your area that rents guns and see if they have any 380's your wife can shoot comfortably before buying. They might even have some of the newer subcompact 9's (LC9 or Kimber Solo) that might work for her. Otherwise get the 380 and if she doesn't like it you could add it to your collection. :)

Mark

Magtech FMJ's in my lcp,it's difficult to get both penetration and expansion from a .380

You'll get a lot of different opinions... If you carry an expanding rounds, some will say you won't have enough penetration. If you carry FMJ, many will say you will have excessive penetration.

I carry 90gr Speer Gold Dots. In the tests I've seen, they get more than 10" penetration in ballistics gelatin or an equivalent, with denim. That's good enough for me. Here's a unique test of the round through a real hog's head. This video helped me decide to carry Gold Dots. Hog's Head Ballistics - Speer Gold Dot 90gr .380 ACP - YouTube

Critical Defense is another good option and will give a little more penetration, but the reliability issues people report with Critical Defense have turned me off.

I use a Ruger LCP. I don't think you can find a more concealable, practical .380 sized pocket pistol for the money. To be honest, it isn't a pleasant gun to shoot compared to a compact or full size 9mm or .40. That shouldn't be a surprise because it's such a small and light gun, but just be warned, it can be pretty snappy.

Senior Moderator
    Fmj
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I switch from hp to fmj during the colder months here in Nebraska.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Wife carries Sig P238 HD w Speer Gold Dot HP's. You are not shooting through car doors and glass in self defense usually.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

No fan of .380 ACP here but it's stoked with FMJ if I carry mine.
    sgb likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by true grit View Post
    Wife carries Sig P238 HD w Speer Gold Dot HP's. You are not shooting through car doors and glass in self defense usually.
    What does one normally shoot through in a self defense situation? Please provide substantiation, thanks.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by true grit View Post
    If a man drives up in a car and begins shooting innocent pedestrians, is he then off limits if he rolls up his windows? I hope the law wouldn't rule that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    What does one normally shoot through in a self defense situation? Please provide substantiation, thanks.
    ...Bad guys?
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I think he was thinking about a face to face confrontation vs shooting at somebody in a car like LEO might have to do.

I could see someone having to shoot through a car door or auto glass because of an armed, violent car jacking. In this case, I think a quality bonded or solid copper HP bullet would perform better than a plain FMJ.

If a man drives up in a car and begins shooting innocent pedestrians, is he then off limits if he rolls up his windows? I hope the law wouldn't rule that way.
    If the attacker is no longer a threat and is leaving the area in his car, shooting upon him while he is escaping would be unjustified in my opinion unless you're LEO or it's Hitler or Bin-Laden himself who did the shooting... but that isn't likely to happen these days. Self defense, not offense.

Now... we aren't supposed to be getting into other discussions.

After 2 bad Critical Defense rounds I will be changing to Buffalo Bore 95 gn FNFMJ

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    My petite wife can handle her LCP, but her limit is about 50 rounds per session. In contrast, I do not find the recoil to be an issue at all.

WWB 95 gr flat nose FMJ. I can afford to shoot enough of it to ensure reliable feeding. I seriously doubt many do that with the Buffalo Bore stuff. And there just is no need - the WWB gets 16 inches penetration.

You can see some tests at www.goldenloki.com
    Agree. The 380 is a small caliber weapon you need to keep it simple the 95 gr flat nose will do the damage needed to stop the threat . Even larger caliber weapons will needed more than one round. getting in to HP and heavier round in such a small caliber your risking it not doing the damage needed.
    If you feel you need a heavy JHP maybe you need a larger caliber weapon.

I'm petite (100lbs 5'0) and I have 3 guns in my CCW EDC rotation (LCR, Kahr pm9 & Kahr P380). I have no issue with recoil. Some 380 are very finicky on ammo. In my P380, I use FMJ (winchester white box)at the range and my defense ammo I carry are Hornady Zombie max.
    Mrs. A ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMrsAuthority?feature=mhee
    Targeted for women who have a "CCW","CPL", "CHL" Permit. I am a strong advocate on carrying on the body rather than in your purse. It can be done.
    My CCW guns (Ruger LCR, Kahr PM9 & Kahr P380)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links