Which 5.56 ammo?

Which 5.56 ammo?

This is a discussion on Which 5.56 ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been researching quite a bit on which 5.56 ammo I should get but I still have no idea where to begin... any recommendations would ...

Thread: Which 5.56 ammo?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

Which 5.56 ammo?

I've been researching quite a bit on which 5.56 ammo I should get but I still have no idea where to begin... any recommendations would be awesome. It's for a 16" 1/7 twist AR-15.

I started seeing stories about slam fires, and that's really the last thing I would want to happen, however rare it might be... should I get ammunition with harder primers to lessen the chances?

I'm also not interested in anything steel cased.

Thanks.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

With a Stag 16in 5.56mm AR with 9in twist, I started with bulk 62gr Lake City FMJ "green tip." Worked very well. Tried a number of rounds up between 55-75gr. The Hornady 55gr was deadly accurate. Never had any problem with "slam fire" situations. Only a few rounds of any variety I tried in the Stag failed to ignite the primer, and most of those fired the second attempt.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"Which ammo" depends and what you're doing with it.

General range work, training and "bug out" use, the 55 grain FMJ from just about any American maker is reliable and accurate enough. If things get bad enough that I have to reach for the AR instead of the shotgun or handgun, designer bullets will be way down on my list of priorities.

That said, if an AR is your primary defensive weapon, then a magazine or two of the Hornady TAP should be fine. Skip the hollow points and soft-nose hunting bullets.

With a 1/7 twist your barrel can stabilize the heavy (long) bullets well, but the effect on 62 vs 55 grain bullets is probably not distinguishable under normal field conditions, or much inside 100 yards.

I have had good experience with the Federal XM193 and Winchester Q3131, both 55 gr - thousands of rounds launched without a problem. The Remington UMC 'generic' runs OK for me but I'm not happy with the accuracy. I'll also single out the Israeli-manufactured Winchester Q3131A as being good to avoid; I've seen too many blind primer holes and reversed primers with that stuff.

Slam fires? I'm no authority, but I've never heard of a slam fire in an AR. Garands, SKSs, M1A1s certainly - but never an AR.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    "Which ammo" depends and what you're doing with it.

General range work, training and "bug out" use, the 55 grain FMJ from just about any American maker is reliable and accurate enough. If things get bad enough that I have to reach for the AR instead of the shotgun or handgun, designer bullets will be way down on my list of priorities.

That said, if an AR is your primary defensive weapon, then a magazine or two of the Hornady TAP should be fine. Skip the hollow points and soft-nose hunting bullets.

With a 1/7 twist your barrel can stabilize the heavy (long) bullets well, but the effect on 62 vs 55 grain bullets is probably not distinguishable under normal field conditions, or much inside 100 yards.

I have had good experience with the Federal XM193 and Winchester Q3131, both 55 gr - thousands of rounds launched without a problem. The Remington UMC 'generic' runs OK for me but I'm not happy with the accuracy. I'll also single out the Israeli-manufactured Winchester Q3131A as being good to avoid; I've seen too many blind primer holes and reversed primers with that stuff.

Slam fires? I'm no authority, but I've never heard of a slam fire in an AR. Garands, SKSs, M1A1s certainly - but never an AR.
    Cool thanks.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

sgb
    Federal XM193 (5.56) is my stockpile preference. XM855 (also 5.56) is next. For the range PMC bronze, Federal American Eagle and Fiocchi (all .223) shoots well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    I reload all of my 5.56. I have some bulk "bug out ammo" . I have plenty of 55 grain bullets in stock but I like to shoot 62 grain or even 77 grains for 600 yard.You would not be able to use a 77 grain bullet as they are for very custom match use. The 62 grain will be more universal for you. So I would stay with a 62 grain bullet if price permits. I shoot in matches so I am "cutting paper" So I can't help you much on the hollow point types. For the kind of shooting that I think you are going to do, I would stay with one type of ammo and get very used to it. Keep all of your brass, you can also invest in a brass catcher. You should also consider a type of ammo ( commercial not surplus ) The surplus runs out then you have to find something else.Ammunition To Go : 500rds - .223 Black Hills 60gr. New Seconds V-Max Ammo [S223N10] - $274.95 look into this Black Hills.

Thanks guys, I think I'll see how the Federal xm193 works out first.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Thanks guys, I think I'll see how the Federal xm193 works out first.
    That will shoot just fine.

Sponsored Links