Least favorite bulk/commercial FMJ target ammo

This is a discussion on Least favorite bulk/commercial FMJ target ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lots of posts about people's favorite ammo, but what is the one brand that you'd most likely avoid? For me, it's UMC in 40 S&W ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Least favorite bulk/commercial FMJ target ammo

Least favorite bulk/commercial FMJ target ammo

Lots of posts about people's favorite ammo, but what is the one brand that you'd most likely avoid? For me, it's UMC in 40 S&W (180 grain). I bout a 250 round bulk box and had 3 FTEs in the first 50 shots. Maybe I was limp wristing that day, but I've never had an FTE in about 5,000 other shots.

I just shot some of the Winchester 100 round value pack 40 S&W 165 grain and was pleasantly surprised.

2. Remove Ads

In 5.56/2,23, it's Winchester Q34131A. That's the stuff that's made in Israel, and not to be confused with Q3131 which is American-made. In three courses, I seen that stuff fail and tie up guns badly.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I fired a brand called " Tul" I think it was, today. It was terrible. Failed to feed when loading a magazine into an empty gun, failed to feed after firing and it was dirty as all hell after firing 2 magazines through my LCP. I definitely DO NOT recommend Tul ammo.
    Foo909 and mprp like this.

For me, PMC Bronze in .40. Inconsistent and dirty, IMO.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    Regoria75 likes this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Regoria75 View Post
    I fired a brand called " Tul" I think it was, today. It was terrible. Failed to feed when loading a magazine into an empty gun, failed to feed after firing and it was dirty as all hell after firing 2 magazines through my LCP. I definitely DO NOT recommend Tul ammo.
    I had one complete box of .380's from TulAmmo that would not feed into my Sig P238 or my friends S&W Bodyguard, the rounds were too long in overall length to allow the slide to close completely. Never again. It was dirty but that's not a huge deal to me.
    Regoria75 likes this.

I've had more problems with S&B 9mm FMJ than anything else (a FTE and a couple of dud primers out of a box of 50).

9 mm Monarch Ammo from Academy sports. Dirtier than all get out. Takes twice as long to clean after using this ammo. Also can get squibs and is very inconsistent.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    In .22LR, it is absolutely Winchester white box.

One out of 20 is a dud. The bullets are often set in the casing at an off-angle so that they often can't even be loaded into a revolver cylinder.

For the same price, you can get a brick of Federal. There's a night and day difference between the two.
    tricolordad likes this.

Senior Moderator
    .30 Carbine Wolf, it doesn't create enough pressure to fully work the bolt. It is only good for FTE drills
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I've shot thousands of rounds of Tula and had one squib and a few light primer strikes. I won't completely avoid it but I will always be extra wary when I do shoot it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My favorite is S&B(9mmFMJ).I've bought 5 cases of it and never had a failure,plus it's hotter than all the others except Lawman.The worst case of ammo I bought was UMC(9mmFMJ).Out of the case I had seven dud primers.I've also used Tula,WWB,without issue.

Distinguished Member
    Not a big fan of WWB in .45, either. The stuff was absolutely filthy!

In .22lr, Thunderbolt is plagued with misfires. It was a gift, so it seemed wrong not to shoot it, but it got to the point that I kept an empty box next to me for all the rounds that failed to go "bang" after 2 tries.

None that I have used in any other caliber has really stood out as being especially bad.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Federal 9mm. Gosh that stuff sucks, I've never fired a more inconsistent brand.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

These responses are odd. Much like anythign else opinion based it is all over the place. I love federal 9mm myself. I hate remington branded stuff. Can't say why. Bad experience when I was first shooting. Probably all my fault though.

My least favorite would have to be Wolf 7.62x54R 148gr FMJ. Ive had ruptured casings, inconsistent charges, its all over the place on paper. For a while thought it was me but took 2 boxes to the range, 1 Wolf 1 brown Bear. Fired a magazine from 75 yards with iron sights and had a 7" spread with a tendency to fire high right using the Wolf. Using 203gr Brown Bear SP, i kept it under 3" with a tendency to fire just high of center. Going to test the difference using the scout scope i just bought soon just to see what it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links