.38 Super. Overlooked?

This is a discussion on .38 Super. Overlooked? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The .38 Super is a formidable cartridge with many good features. The .38 Super is easy to shoot well. Recoil is light, but muzzle report ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: .38 Super. Overlooked?

The .38 Super is a formidable cartridge with many good features. The .38 Super is easy to shoot well.
    Recoil is light, but muzzle report can be quite loud. Can push a 115 grain bullet to 1500 fps in some loadings.

Never understood why 38 Super did not catch the attention of the hand gun shooting crowd. I have WANTED one for a long, long, long time,,,,, just would not pay the price.
    I think the Rock Island Armory is producing some now for $450 + or -.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    While the .357 is an awsome round it is a bottle neck round & looks like it could be a real pain to reload.

While on the other hand the stairght walled .38 super case looks easy enough to reload to me and with todays high tech bullet designs & newer powders the super looks like a fun round to handload.

From what I've seen on factory carry ammo (this is a great thread for that!) if one shops around there is some very good defensive carry ammo out there.

Yes I agree the .38 super should be more popular than it is.

I have a hunch the .38 super may well have its "second coming" among serious defensive carriers & sportsman.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    That's why just across the Texas border into Mexico was once a GREAT spot to find nice, old Colt .38 super 1911s. Civilians couldn't legally own a .45 acp 1911. I bought a .38 super all-steel Commander there in 1972. Transportation across the border was much,...uh, simpler back then. Fine pistol.
    Well, didn't our government just try to make this easier again? At least with guns going back to Mexico . . . .

This has been one of those calibers I have often romanticized about, however, due to economy of caliber I never took the plunge. Who knows, maybe someday.

Astra A-80

Quote Originally Posted by Harleycolt View Post
    Only owned one 38 super and that was an Astra A80, 15 rounds in the mag plus 1 in the chaamber. It was a great gun bought it because I couldn't afford a 1911 in 38 super. Never should have gotten rid of it because I haven't seen another one since and that was back in 1988.
    I just purchesed a Astra A-80 in the orignal case with manuals 2 15rd clips. The gun is in excelent shape. Also have a Star Moledo 9x23 Largo ammo

If I ever get around to/decide to get into the 1911 platform, I'd be getting it in .38 super. I don't know why but I've always been interested in that round.

Sent from my palm device
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Game gun. Get a 1911 in .45 ACP.

Cor Bon makes a great rd for the 38 super. 115gr jhp. About $19.00 a box of 20. Also does any one know where I can buy some magazines for my Astra A-80 38 super?

The Rock Island Armory 1911 in 38 super is $369.00

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Cor Bon makes a great rd for the 38 super. 115gr jhp. About $19.00 a box of 20. Also does any one know where I can buy some magazines for my Astra A-80 38 super?
    Here is one source you may try. Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Tks for the info. They are sold out right now.

I'm not sure why .38 Super gets little notice or love from most people either. I discovered a rather rare new pistol at a pawn shop chambered in .38 Sa and i bought it quickly and promptly traded my then .380 for it. It has been my daily concealed carry handgun since and that was almost 4 years ago when I bought it.

I enjoy shooting the round and I find Glaser Silver Safety Slugs in .38 online ($10 for 6) and Cor-Bon 115g JHP as well. Currently about $21 for 20 rounds in 08/2014. I use both for my defensive rounds and have shot both. The recoil on my Fiocchi FMJ is less than a .45 but the sound is a bit louder from the shot on a .45 in my op. But then again, I double insulate my ears with plugs and muffs so I could be wrong! I love .38SA but ammo is indeed scarce. I hear it's due to Mexican nationals below the border buying it up (I hear .45 ACP is illegal there)..and also because it is a coveted round for pistol competition in the 1911 platform.

In stores they charge as much as $42 for a 50 round box of regular FMJ. I would reload my own with no knowledge on how to safely do so before I pay that!!! Lol that is highway robbery!

I have a 1911 in .45 ACP and I prefer the .45 for practice (only due to cost of rounds and availability, not due to recoil and muzzle flip...I save my precious .38 SA as much as possible as it is hard to find in stock) but the .38 SA is just lighter in weight for daily carry. It is very fun to shoot.

My .38 SA is all steel, a Taurus PT .38S in Stainless...my daily carry and my nightstand watchman. Recently picked up a Taurus PT945 as well, but she needs a good cleaning. .38SA is my first choice for defensive handgun use in the home (if I can't get to the 12 gauge pump) and .45 would be second. 9mm would be third. Just my personal preference.

My next handgun will be, before anything else, a 1911 chambered in .38SA. And it is on the short list...like hoping to have in my hands before the inception of 2015.
    Last edited by BeJewelledOne; August 17th, 2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling

No less than Frank Hamer, legendary Texas Ranger and the finder/killer of Bonnie and Clyde, was a strong proponent of the .38 Super. Seems it had favorable effectiveness when shot through...car doors.
    msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I don't have much to add about the 38 Super except this article I read a while back.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/38-super/
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    If I recall rightly, Thompson also chambered their famous sub-gun for .38 Super.

.38 Super Ammo for those in short supply at the moment

Aguila Ammo 38 Super A+P 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket
    GhostMaker likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links