Winchester Ranger Recall

Winchester Ranger Recall

This is a discussion on Winchester Ranger Recall within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Attached is the DHS/FBI notice of a recall of Winchester Ranger Ammunition: For those that carry 40 S & W Ranger please check your ammo!...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By taseal

Thread: Winchester Ranger Recall

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Winchester Ranger Recall

Attached is the DHS/FBI notice of a recall of Winchester Ranger Ammunition:

For those that carry 40 S & W Ranger please check your ammo!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gasmitty; August 7th, 2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: removed "LE Only" notice

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Scary.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Private citizens can buy this stuff, so advising them to ignore it isn't a good idea.

I hope the warning to private citizens was tongue in cheek, as this stuff is perfectly legal for us to buy. I have it in my .40 right now. I'll be checking my box when I get home.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blind primer pockets are not new with Winchester - I've seen several instances with their Israeli-manufactured 5.56 ammo.

I took the liberty of deleting the "LE Only" admonition.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Although I carry only the 9mm Ranger, this is good information. Thanks for the share!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Private citizens can buy this stuff, so advising them to ignore it isn't a good idea.
    It was a farcical quote of the disclaimer at the bottom of the DHS/FBI notice! The whole reason for posting was to give anyone who carry's Winchester Ranger a chance to check their current stock to see if they had any of the soon to be recalled ammunition!

So Thunder, you can now get your undies out of a bunch, have another cup of coffee (or adult beverage depending on your time zone), and enjoy your day!

farcical - defined: resembling farce; ludicrous; absurd. Kinda like my tag line quoting Sigi Freud!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    That recall is a justification (documentation) for carrying carefully assembeled handloads, made from new components.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

The DHS FOUO notice that they are currently automatically putting at the bottom of every notice they distribute is exactly what the laws regarding classification were supposed to prevent. This obviously should not be classified as such. The problem is that since anyone can effectively declare something FOUO, everyone does.

interesting!

too bad nobody keeps the box, so they'll never know what's loaded in their pistol!
    Civil_Response and GH like this.

GH
    Which brings up a good point - what do you do if you have that ammo & don't have the box to check if yours is from the defective batch? Throw them away? Try shooting random rounds & if they don't fire then you know? Return any Winchester Ranger .40 cal?

I'm sure glad that you brought this to our attention, onacoma. I'm looking for several types of ammo to try out. That might have been one of them. Goes to show just how valuable this site & its members are to the carry community.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Thanks for the info OP. Am always looking to pick this stuff up for HD.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Well I guess deciding to switch to speer Gold Dots about a month ago may be my guardian angel watching my 6
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have 1000 rounds of 40 S&W Ranger T 165 GR which is not an issue. Folks the Ranger T rounds are the same reverse taper rounds that are the Black Tylon Rounds from a few years ago without the black teflon coating on the bullits (at that time only produced in 9MM). Never have had a missing primer hole in the brass as all have shot BANG! YMMV.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I need to contact Winchester I guess. I have about 200 rounds of this ammo right now. Some of it (just checked) IS F coded. I've actually got another 500 rounds at another location I need to check this weekend also. Any called Winchester about this yet? I guess practicing the old tap, rack, bang will never go out of style. :)

Links