Best Bulk .357/12G Ammo for Zombie Apocalypse???

This is a discussion on Best Bulk .357/12G Ammo for Zombie Apocalypse??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to forum and just getting aquatinted with my new S&W 686+ 4 inch and mossberg 500. Trying to figure the best bulk ammo to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dennis1209

Thread: Best Bulk .357/12G Ammo for Zombie Apocalypse???

Best Bulk .357/12G Ammo for Zombie Apocalypse???

New to forum and just getting aquatinted with my new S&W 686+ 4 inch and mossberg 500. Trying to figure the best bulk ammo to stock up on if our "society" breaks down. Premium SD rounds seem to go for about $1 a round for each of these guns. Combined I'm looking for a minimum of 5000 rounds ASAP. Due to finances I'm looking for the best deal for bulk ammo that is competent/reliable. I know it wont be as good as the best quality SD rounds but I feel large numbers of ammo would be more benificial in a worst case blackout scenario.

Choices I have gathered to this point.

.357 Remington UMC 125 grain SJHP 100 rounds @ $50
    .357 HSM "factory remanufactured" 158 grain SJHP @ .43 cents a round.
    .357 BVAC 158 grain SWC @ . 34 cents a round.

12 gauge Rio Royal 00 Buck shot @ .40 cents round. 250 rounds for $100. Sounds like a no brainer to me. I'm thinking at least a thousand rounds here.

As I'm buying in bulk I don't want to get stuck with hundreds of rounds of bunk ammo in the bunker. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Well I wouldn't bother with buck shot for the shotgun, everyone knows you have to hit the zombie in the head to stop it. I'd invest the money in an AK, like this, and 1000 rounds of Tula Ammo at about .22 per round.
    My AK.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Well I wouldn't bother with buck shot for the shotgun, everyone knows you have to hit the zombie in the head to stop it. I'd invest the money in an AK, like this, and 1000 rounds of Tula Ammo at about .22 per round.
    My AK.jpg
    I have an odd feeling the OP cannot get one of those in California. At least not with the high capacity mags. If I were stuck with low cap mags I would look elsewhere than the ak or ar myself.

Buy whatever ammo is cheap. It is only gonna sit in a box anyhow.

GetSmith, those 12ga shells, are they 2-3/4in or 3in?

And yes, whatever you can get away with cheapest would be best for this. Even the cheapest ammo will almost always fire. I've only ever had two rounds fail to fire, and even they fired the second time around. If you buy cheap handgun/rifle ammo, just make sure they're all of uniform length before you load them; I once had some cheap .38spl Blazer ammo and one (out of 100) had the bullet not seated fully in the casing, ultimately rendering my j-frame inoperable (bullet nose hit the frame/forcing cone on the way around) until I removed it.

Also, metal jacketed only. I know non-jacketed options are tempting, but that's a b**** to try to clean out in a poo hits the fan situation.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    My AK.jpg
    This is of such importance, I must respectfully disagree!

Every documented zombie movie I've ever seen, and I mean EVERY, when the zombies were shot in the head with a shotgun, it exploded in every direction for at least 50 yards. I sure don't know where you get your facts from, but it sure ain't AMC
    DanielC likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I use silvertips.........oh wait................nevermind.................that s for the werewolf apocalypse.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Here ya go: about .27 cents a round for your .357

Shotgun ammo
    --Jason--

Links