380 auto vs 380 acp in a S&W Bodyguard 380 - Page 2

380 auto vs 380 acp in a S&W Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on 380 auto vs 380 acp in a S&W Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the same problem with a box of TulAmmo in .380 ACP. The first box of 50, none of them would allow the slide ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 380 auto vs 380 acp in a S&W Bodyguard 380

I had the same problem with a box of TulAmmo in .380 ACP. The first box of 50, none of them would allow the slide to completely close on my Sig P238 or my friends S&W Bodyguard. The next box worked fine.

Lesson learned, no more TulAmmo for me.

.380 Auto is a .380 ACP. Some smaller automatics are picky about the ammo they eat.

My advice: the smaller the calliber the higher quality the ammo must be. Plus, the break-in period is important for any automatic firearm. Most break-ins require 100 to 300 rounds (or more) before determining the reliability of the pistol or rifle.

Got the check that Tulammo promised. I'll give them credit for making it right.
    squid86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    Got the check that Tulammo promised. I'll give them credit for making it right.
    It's good to hear of real customer service.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I bought a S&W bodyguard for my wife last week. I picked up a couple boxes of Tula to take to the range. I had the same problem with the slide not closing all the way. We tried 5-6 bullets and could not get any of them to chamber properly. Very frustrating to say the least. Did you ever try out another box of Tula? Maybe we both got a bad box? Or maybe the bodyguard just doesn't like it?

Here is a YouTube video that shows what I'm talking about

TulAmmo problems in S&W Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 - YouTube

380 Tula Ammo

I just was out shooting last week and after I emptied my clip I went in the bag to reload. I thought I would try the only box of the TULA I had bought to try. It wouldn't even completely chamber the round. I tried several and pet them away to check later. They definitely have a broader nose on them. I put all the TULA away, thankfully I had only bought the 1 box. Haven't had a problem with any of the .223 ammo I have tried from TULA. This was in my Sig 380. I wouldn't want to count on it if I needed it in an EMERGENCY!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    .380 ACP (automatic Colt pistol) and .380 auto are the same.

I have heard of Tula .380 batches having an over all length exceeding specifications and therefor wouldn't chamber in many guns.

It's a Tula ammo issue.
    ^^^This^^^

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here is something a fellow instructor sent me regarding Brass vs Steel ammo. May wish to read.
    Attached Files
    OPFOR, 481, Bark'n and 2 others like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    That was an awesome read, onacoma, thanks for posting.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Here is something a fellow instructor sent me regarding Brass vs Steel ammo. May wish to read.
    A second thanks to you, onacoma.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I recently had this same problem with a box of .380 91gr. Tulammo In my bodyguard! I referenced the cartridge to a federal .380 and the Headspace is much shorter/smaller on the tulammo I have! The taper on the case to the extraction rim is really steep/short on the Tula!
    I'm contacting them as well, but that is the reason some of the batches Will not chamber fully!

Great article onacoma. A very interesting and compelling comparison study. The hi-res photos really helps give you a visual perspective to the detailed comparison.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

ditto on my bodyguard. there may be more to this story than just this particular ammo; unfortunately mine worked fine with same ammo for about 500 rounds; then made the mistake of asking s&w how to adjust the site since it shot left 3" @ 21ft. NOpe, gotta send to them to adjust. OK. Came back and would no longer load ANY ammo I own - same issue not closing. sent back again, they said it was fine and returned unfixed. same issue. it is going back again. I found 2 bullets out of 300 tried, in 4 different brands (good big names included). I suspect this is not just a tullo issue.

Steel case .380 are good for target shooting, you get to practice clearing jams
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links