380 auto vs 380 acp in a S&W Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on 380 auto vs 380 acp in a S&W Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought that a 380 auto and a 380 acp were the same round. It's different enough that in my S&W Bodyguard 380, the TulAmmo ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 380 auto vs 380 acp in a S&W Bodyguard 380

I thought that a 380 auto and a 380 acp were the same round. It's different enough that in my S&W Bodyguard 380, the TulAmmo 380 acp would not fully chamber the round. What a bummer to be on the range, at the firing line, ready to pull the boom switch and you realize, it's not going to work...

I wonder if this is a Bodyguard issue or a TulAmmo issue? Everything that i can find on the ole interwebs seems to indicate that 380 auto is just an abbreviation for 380 acp.

I realize that many folks won't shoot non-brass cartridges or 380s, that's not the what I'm interested in hearing about.

Thoughts?

to the best of my knowledge the 380 auto and the 380 acp (automatic pistol cartridge) are one in the same. Some ranges don't like Tula ammo because it is made in Mexico and has a steel centers and can cause ricochets

Edit: do a check and put the good round side by side with the one that didn't work and see if the is a height difference or the bullet olgive (bullet contours) is different but those are the only two things I can think of that would not allow the slide to fully seat

VIP Member
    As far as I know they are the same so it must be that particular round.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Yeah, what they said. It's the same cartridge, must just be a problem with your batch.

OD*
    The .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) cartridge was developed by John Moses Browning and is the same cartridge as the .380 Auto, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, and 9◊17mm, same-o-same-o, different countries use different names. But it's not to be confused with .38 ACP, completely different cartridge.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Comparing the bad rounds with the good ones, the rim cut (not sure if that is the correct terminology) on the bad round is about 2/3 the size of the one on a good round. The cartridges are the same size in height and diameter so it has to be something with the rim cut.

Gonna break down the gun and slide each cartridge in the chamber and see how they fit.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Ya, it seems to be relatively clear that it's just that batch of Tul ammo you have. Run to Walmart and buy a box of WWB and compare the rounds, then go shoot the WWB and you will have no problemo's.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I used to have a BG380 and can tell you that with TulAmmo they have very hard primers and will take a 2nd and sometimes 3rd pull of the trigger to fire the rounds off. I hope this helps. God Bless

Contacted TulaUSA to see what can be done about it. I've shot Tula in my AR and have had no issues (yes I clean it well after shooting Tula).

I reload and even tho the cases may mic the same I know that if the case isn't crimped right there is just enough difference that they will fail to chamber right,when adjusting my dies I use a factory round to set up crimp and length,then I use a barrel and insert the round to make sure it slides in and out.I have over crimped a round before and have run the rounds back thru a resizing die with the decapper removed to size the case back within tolerance.
    You definitely have a bad batch
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

.380 ACP (automatic Colt pistol) and .380 auto are the same.

I have heard of Tula .380 batches having an over all length exceeding specifications and therefor wouldn't chamber in many guns.

It's a Tula ammo issue.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    to the best of my knowledge the 380 auto and the 380 acp (automatic pistol cartridge) are one in the same. Some ranges don't like Tula ammo because it is made in Mexico and has a steel centers and can cause ricochets

Edit: do a check and put the good round side by side with the one that didn't work and see if the is a height difference or the bullet olgive (bullet contours) is different but those are the only two things I can think of that would not allow the slide to fully seat
    Made in Russia
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Made in Russia
    Yup, says so right on the box.

Pretty disappointing to be 2000 miles from home (working) and ready to enjoy an hour or so of shooting only to have this happen.

Oh well, maybe I'll go back tomorrow with some WWB. Next door they were running a 1000 yard benchrest competition.

Ay least you were at the range and not facing some BG. So good day ,bad ammo.
    You can fix that.
    oneshot likes this.

Good outcome - Tulammo is going to mail a check to reimburse for the ammo (fingers crossed).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links