Anyone shoot Tul Ammo vs ballistic vests?

This is a discussion on Anyone shoot Tul Ammo vs ballistic vests? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a pulled .45 acp tul ammo here (230gr) and checking with a magnet, it must have ALOT of steel in it, because compared ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone shoot Tul Ammo vs ballistic vests?

I have a pulled .45 acp tul ammo here (230gr) and checking with a magnet, it must have ALOT of steel in it, because compared to a 62gr, this thing really sticks to magnet!

so it got me curious...

has anyone shot a tul ammo (steel core) to a IIIa vest? I'm curious if the steel (even though it's mild steel) would be hard enough to penetrate a IIIa vest. thinking maybe it's just hard enough to not mushroom.

if anyone knows, let me know

I might buy a vest or something from bulletproofme and try it out for myself maybe :)

Not going to work, too little velocity, too much frontal area.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Not going to work, too little velocity, too much frontal area.
    but steel vs lead. much harder metal.

perhaps in 9mm then.

Ive found that all theTulammo Ive shot in my .45 , were loaded on the light side, and had very little recoil compared to top name brand 230gr .45ACP's I think the IIIA vest will stop it with no problem...
    CIBMike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Ive found that all theTulammo Ive shot in my .45 , were loaded on the light side, and had very little recoil compared to top name brand 230gr .45ACP's I think the IIIA vest will stop it with no problem...
    This post is a little off path but all the Tul ammo i have shot is very inconnsistent in power, it always goes bang but fluctuates in power alot.I use it for range ammo in my AR and often it isn't powerful enough to cycle the rifle properly.....i get lots of malfunction training out of it.
    The easy way is always mined.

No matter what I still wouldn't depend on Tula for self defense.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Lead Moderator
    Doubt it will penetrate . Maybe tomorrow I will see if I have any and shoot a old ballistic panel I have.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Very unlikely that the mild steel in the core will have any appreciable effect on it defeating IIIA (or any) armor. NATO ball 9mm doesn't deform much when fired into body armor, and - though it is loaded fairly hot - it doesn't penetrate.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I might be wrong, but rifle caliber ammo from Wolf (Tula is pretty much identical) has a bi-metal jacket. They take very thin alternating layers of mild steel and copper and make a jacket for the lead core of the bullet. While it will spark when contacting a steel plate on the range, I seriously doubt it would aid in penetration through body armor. I assume the Russian made handgun caliber ammo is made the same way.

Really, I don't think the ATF would allow armor piercing handgun ammo to first be imported from Russia and then sold (as the cheapest option) at your local gun store.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    I might be wrong, but rifle caliber ammo from Wolf (Tula is pretty much identical) has a bi-metal jacket. They take very thin alternating layers of mild steel and copper and make a jacket for the lead core of the bullet. While it will spark when contacting a steel plate on the range, I seriously doubt it would aid in penetration through body armor. I assume the Russian made handgun caliber ammo is made the same way.

Really, I don't think the ATF would allow armor piercing handgun ammo to first be imported from Russia and then sold (as the cheapest option) at your local gun store.
    This is correct.

Unfortunately, too many people fall for the myth that it is steel cored, as opposed to having a mild steel jacket.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

it is not the material that will make the bullet penetrate but the olgive (shape of the bullet). Pointed rounds will go through where wide flatter rounds will be absorbed in the Kevlar
    olgive.jpg

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    it is not the material that will make the bullet penetrate but the olgive (shape of the bullet). Pointed rounds will go through where wide flatter rounds will be absorbed in the Kevlar
    olgive.jpg
    This is only partly true. Actual Armor Piercing ammunition (where they are most common, in military rifle calibers) have the same exact shape as non-AP rounds. They are different in their internal construction, because the materials do, in fact, affect their penetrating capabilities.

ETA: Additionally, velocity has quite a bit to do with whether a handgun round will penetrate soft body armor, as do many other factors (including bullet materials) to greater and lesser degrees.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

From what i read armor piercing ammo is usually lighter load with very high velocity. the core of the bullet is made out of dense metal Steel, tungsten or depleted uranium

dense metal Steel, tungsten or depleted uranium
    I'm pretty sure your not gonna find any depleted uranium in a pistol or even rifle round,tank round yes,Aircraft 30mm cannon type guns yes,. Billy Bobs 9mm hi point NO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

DARPA made DU rifle and pistol rounds in 1960s but decided that it would be hard to clean up if used everyday GI. Us armed forces used .50 BMG flechette round when required. now its mostly raufoss mk 211.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links