so talk to me about the fn 5.7 mm round

This is a discussion on so talk to me about the fn 5.7 mm round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doodle I was just reading about this stuff, it's called T6 by Elite ammo and it seems to be the best loading ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so talk to me about the fn 5.7 mm round

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I was just reading about this stuff, it's called T6 by Elite ammo and it seems to be the best loading out there right now. It is a 28 grain projectile that travels around 3000 ft/sec out of a ps90. The projectile is solid copper and fragments into 4 peices as it tumbles. I'm still not quite a believer as I am still researching to form my own opinion. From what I've read so far the biggest thing that 5.7 bullets do that help their lethality is tumbling after about 2 inches of penetration or so. I believe in newtons laws...if it doesn't recoil hard it's not going to deliver much energy, on the other hand all pistols unless your talking .44 magnum (or bigger) are pretty feable on Mr Newtons scale of energy delivered. If this thing tumbles, yaws and fragments like it's suppose to, this would make a pretty good home defense weapon, while being a bit safer for the neighbors in the neighborhood.

I'm still researching.
    from experience I will always say that bullets don't land where you intend them to in the middle of everything. there is some video of it online that passes through IIa (and some IIIa) armor then into a pork shoulder, destroying it inside with 3 little piecs (in that video, they actually didn't break)

I also always mention the mexican drug cartels and the ft hood shooting, and what this pistol did in those events. while it's not for the positive side, it killed many people.

you can buy SS198LF (which isn't outrageous, about 30 bucks for a box) that will pierce IIIa vests. if it mushrooms, it won't. if it doesn't mushroom, it goes through IIIa. once it fits flesh, it just tumbles like a small 5.56 round that we've been using for 40 years now in our military.

2. Remove Ads

I don't care about it's ap possibilities in the least. I'm just thinking of a handy SHORT sub gun style home defense carbine. I am also thinking about a 9mm carbine of some sort but nothing in 9mm is as short and handy. The lethality of 5.7 is my main question as compaired to something like 9mm out of a subgun, ap not withstanding.

The first m16 issued to the Air Force used a 55 weight bullet. It's use was noted by an observer in Vietnam, and great destruction was recorded. This was attributed to the tumbling effect after hitting flesh. It was also noted that the distance was generally around 100 yards or less, taking advantage of the velocity.

I'd say the little 5.7 would do ok with that in mind, however, I'm not going to trade my 9mm or 45 anytime soon.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The first m16 issued to the Air Force used a 55 weight bullet. It's use was noted by an observer in Vietnam, and great destruction was recorded. This was attributed to the tumbling effect after hitting flesh. It was also noted that the distance was generally around 100 yards or less, taking advantage of the velocity.

I'd say the little 5.7 would do ok with that in mind, however, I'm not going to trade my 9mm or 45 anytime soon.
    Exactly what I was thinking in a 26" long 5 lb package with a 50 round magazine, but does it actually perform as stated? Too bad FN didn't make a 9mm version of the ps90, now that would kick butt!

It looks like you could buy two beretta 45 acp carbines and have money left over for the price of the p90. Just a thought, I have not fired either of these weapons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links