so talk to me about the fn 5.7 mm round

This is a discussion on so talk to me about the fn 5.7 mm round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK lets not let this get into a caliber war...but curiosity has gotten to me and the interwebs are soo full of info I can't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so talk to me about the fn 5.7 mm round

OK lets not let this get into a caliber war...but curiosity has gotten to me and the interwebs are soo full of info I can't see the forest for the trees.

The fn 5.7 round...ok so it achieves 1700 or so ft per second out of a pistol and significantly better out of a carbine. It generates 300 ft lbs of force or so of energy, seems that penetration in tissue is good but quickly loses energy through barriers and decelerates very quickly over range.

It ballistically sounds alot like a .22 magnum to me but obviously you can get better projectiles in a 5.7 than a .22 mag. Is this cartridge the new wonder kid or is it marketing hokum? I am leaning towards skeptic on this one but a ps90 (if the round was good) would make an awesome home defense carbine.

Please post replies with links sighting tests...not just the guy in the gun store told me it hits harder than a .40.

Marketing hokum.

The lightweight varmint-type bullets commonly available for it are going to be lacking in penetration.

Personally, if I was going for a necked-down warp speed .22 pistol, I'd go with .22 TCM...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Can't talk to ballistics, but here's a practical difference: Shooting "fun" targets in the desert, like cans of stale soda and then empty cans, the 5.7 (FMJ) zips right through 'em and they barely move, but the 9mm and even .38 make the cans dance and jump. On the full cans, even a .22 HP generated more visual excitement then the 5.7. Coupled with the price and somewhat limited availability of ammo, it 'll be a while before I find a need for one. Seems like it might be a great round for a Contender.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Nice enough round.
    Platform suffers.
    The FN pistol developed a bad reputation for firing before it was completely in battery, which tended to damage its expensive self.
    I sincerely hope the manufacturer has cured this reputed condition.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    Nice enough round.
    Platform suffers.
    The FN pistol developed a bad reputation for firing before it was completely in battery, which tended to damage its expensive self.
    I sincerely hope the manufacturer has cured this reputed condition.
    Good to know but I'm particularly interested in the ps 90.

Specifically, a ps90 sbr'ed with the p 90 10" barrel and surpressor as a defensive carbine...oh and 50 rd mags.

To me the round was designed for a specific purpose, to defeat body armor. Since the ap ammo is not available to the public, the 5.7 is pretty much worthless. There are alot more lethal rounds out there, that also cannot defeat body armor.

The fn fs2000 looks pretty sweet though. 5.56mm.

The 5.7 was designed to replace the 9x19 in NATO, following their request.

FN 5.728mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VIP Member
    I have fired several versions of the P90 and FN pistol. With specific HP or SD rounds they work like any other hyper velocity, small caliber rounds. They enter the body and either tumble or fragment.

Accuracy was good, recoil was nothing and both the rifle and pistol had great magazine capacity. After playing with the pistol and getting used to the sights and trigger 100 yard hits on gallon jugs became routine without any malfunctions.

Yes it was designed for a specific purpose and it can be adapted to a HD role using the proper ammunition without a problem.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I have fired several versions of the P90 and FN pistol. With specific HP or SD rounds they work like any other hyper velocity, small caliber rounds. They enter the body and either tumble or fragment.

Accuracy was good, recoil was nothing and both the rifle and pistol had great magazine capacity. After playing with the pistol and getting used to the sights and trigger 100 yard hits on gallon jugs became routine without any malfunctions.

Yes it was designed for a specific purpose and it can be adapted to a HD role using the proper ammunition without a problem.
    I love to hear about real world experience. Thanks Tacman

You have to read this to believe it...I may be a convert but I need more data (spoiler alert...5.7 more effective than .45 acp JHP) http://www.eliteammunition.net/f/Eli...ce_Summary.pdf

oh here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    To me the round was designed for a specific purpose, to defeat body armor. Since the ap ammo is not available to the public, the 5.7 is pretty much worthless. There are alot more lethal rounds out there, that also cannot defeat body armor.
    SS190 is outdated. there are better IIIA penetrating rounds that you can buy. they aren't cheap, but they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    SS190 is outdated. there are better IIIA penetrating rounds that you can buy. they aren't cheap, but they are out there.

I was just reading about this stuff, it's called T6 by Elite ammo and it seems to be the best loading out there right now. It is a 28 grain projectile that travels around 3000 ft/sec out of a ps90. The projectile is solid copper and fragments into 4 peices as it tumbles. I'm still not quite a believer as I am still researching to form my own opinion. From what I've read so far the biggest thing that 5.7 bullets do that help their lethality is tumbling after about 2 inches of penetration or so. I believe in newtons laws...if it doesn't recoil hard it's not going to deliver much energy, on the other hand all pistols unless your talking .44 magnum (or bigger) are pretty feable on Mr Newtons scale of energy delivered. If this thing tumbles, yaws and fragments like it's suppose to, this would make a pretty good home defense weapon, while being a bit safer for the neighbors in the neighborhood.

I'm still researching.

Here's just the bullet, you can guess how it's supposed to fragment.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links