9mm FMJ DESTROYS Cinder Blocks with EASE! Awesome Video linked!

This is a discussion on 9mm FMJ DESTROYS Cinder Blocks with EASE! Awesome Video linked! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good discussion guys! Thanks for keeping it on track. An interesting fact is that when the 9mm is shot through a 16" barrel, it almost ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 9mm FMJ DESTROYS Cinder Blocks with EASE! Awesome Video linked!

Good discussion guys! Thanks for keeping it on track.
    An interesting fact is that when the 9mm is shot through a 16" barrel, it almost meets the velocity of a .357 magnum...
    And that is coming from chronograph charts.
    So yes, a 9mm handgun would most likely not be as effective... but it's not a fact until tested. I'll do that soon!

Yes it was just one lonely cinder block, but impressive none the less. It actually only took 2 shots to split it (watch the slomo.)
    I want to build an entire wall and test out different grains and calibers for effectiveness soon.

This video actually took place at my local range... I'm not sure if they would care, but I pay enough to justify it

2. Remove Ads

Neat illustration. Also of import is the weight and type of cinder block shot. If it was made with Cement and a dense aggregate such as sand as contrasted with a block made with aerated concrete, or concrete and fly ash or bottom ash. Some blocks are light, some are heavy. Just don't assume a bullet will have the same effect on any cinder block or cinder block wall.

Fun nonetheless.

Here's a 45 vs 9 comparison vid that I enjoy watching every now and then. I still like my 45 better, but this one really shows the two cals pretty even in a head to head comparison.

Water jugs, watermelons & cinder blocks.

Enjoy!

You should see what a 30-06 does to a bowling ball

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Disclamer

Quote Originally Posted by Cdog View Post
    I was shooting Winchester "white box"... 115 GR. Full metal jackets.
    This is one round you wouldn't want to hide from behind cinder block walls! NO JOKE!
    Cdog, were is the disclaimer? You were using a Kel-Tec P2000 and not a handgun! 16" of barrel vs 5" or less of barrel.

You should film a Glock 19 vs the Kel-Tec P-2000 and then post it! What a difference a few inches make!

After doing tests on ballistic glass I got a Beretta CX4 Storm as it will handle the 9mm +P+, which the Kel-Tec P2K is only rated for standard loads. Out of handguns - 45 ACP penetrated 1 layer, 9mm +P+ out of a Glock 19 went through two layers, 357 Sig. and a 40 SW out could only penetrated 3 layers of the glass laminate, but 9mm +P+ out of a MP5 went through all 4 layers like it was butter!

Great Video and looks like it was fun!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    I served on an M60 team for quite a while when I was in the Army. We actually conducted some tests to see how many rounds it would take to "shoot a hole" through various walls big enough to act as a breach. Brick, various types of concrete/cinder blocks... It was great fun, and pretty eye opening as to what bullets can actually do (especially 600 or so rounds per minute of 7.62N) to construction materials...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

very cool
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Nice vid! Shooting "improvised" targets is always more fun than just punching holes in paper.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I served on an M60 team for quite a while when I was in the Army. We actually conducted some tests to see how many rounds it would take to "shoot a hole" through various walls big enough to act as a breach. Brick, various types of concrete/cinder blocks... It was great fun, and pretty eye opening as to what bullets can actually do (especially 600 or so rounds per minute of 7.62N) to construction materials...
    And the results were?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    And the results were?
    You can shoot man-sized holes in most common masonry building materials relatively quickly. :)

Not that I think anyone is going to "try this at home," but I'm going to keep the specific results off a public forum.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

My question is; How many inches of jello did it penetrate after defeating the aggressive cinder block?
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    And it could double as a chainsaw.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

You still have to hit what you are aiming at for it to count at all! Large caliber misses are worthless. Shoot what you can hit what your aiming at.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    What a difference a few inches make!
    You know your at a die hard gun forum when that line can actually be uttered in regards to a serious topic. Love it.

From the little bit of informal desert testing I've done in the past just about any service caliber will destroy cinder blocks, bricks, and any sort wood frames in a matter of a few shots. No doubt they wouldn't break up as quickly when part of a grouted wall, but still, ducking behind the window frame as seen in the movies would not be my first choice.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Barrett's M107 goes thru masonry walls like a knife thru butter. Go to 5:30 in the vid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links