Anybody shoot this ammo?

This is a discussion on Anybody shoot this ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I brought home a box of Federal.40 cal Tactical 180 grain. Has anybody tried this & would it make a good load for SD?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anybody shoot this ammo?

GH [OP]

Anybody shoot this ammo?

I brought home a box of Federal.40 cal Tactical 180 grain. Has anybody tried this & would it make a good load for SD?
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I generally shoot Gold Dots, but I have run a couple boxes of this stuff through my Springfield XD-40 and it seemed to work just fine. Would probably be fine SD ammo.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

GH [OP]
    Thanks, whoppo. It was recommended to me by the salesman at Streicher's Police HQ as the ammo the the Milwaukee PD uses. He gave me a deal on it because I was buying a few other items but it was still expensive - normally about $30 fr a box of 50 & he charged my $22. I don't believe I've ever shot anything over 165 grains - maybe, but I can't think that I did.
    Glenn

Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Should be quite adequate for SD, but, it depends on your gun because it will be snappy.
    Shoot some and see how it shoots.

GH [OP]
    Will do nn. Thanks. I sincerely hope I can get to the range this month. Each day finds me busier than the day before & I'm retired, lol. I'd probably shoot only a mag there & then switch to the "cheap" stuff.
    Glenn

Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Sponsor
    Is it HST or Bonded?

Both are fantastic. From the studies I've seen, HST is the most consistent and best performing hollow point out there. Closely followed by Ranger T's, Gold Dots, and Golden Sabers. Tactical Bonded is still good, but a better performer through barriers, obviously.

I carry HSTs in my CCW. I wish Federal didn't have silly restrictions on who can buy them. We sure don't want normal folks having high quality, top performing ammunition.
    Fisher10 likes this.

GH [OP]
    Steicher's Police HQ told me that what was on the shelf is all they were going to have. Once that's gone that's it. I have the HST (didn't know what that stood for, that's why I didn't include it in my description.) I didn't realize that it was restricted to police use with civilians being bared from buying it. I hope I don't get to love the stuff too much in that case. To excuse their sale of it to me they know me when I was an armed security officer & I would get ammo from them at times. I was still in the computer& they didn't check my (expired) Armed Security License. It sounds like I won't shoot a full mag after all if it's that hard to get. I don't suppose Cheaper Than Dirt sells it.
    Glenn

Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Steicher's Police HQ told me that what was on the shelf is all they were going to have. Once that's gone that's it. I have the HST (didn't know what that stood for, that's why I didn't include it in my description.) I didn't realize that it was restricted to police use with civilians being bared from buying it. I hope I don't get to love the stuff too much in that case. To excuse their sale of it to me they know me when I was an armed security officer & I would get ammo from them at times. I was still in the computer& they didn't check my (expired) Armed Security License. It sounds like I won't shoot a full mag after all if it's that hard to get. I don't suppose Cheaper Than Dirt sells it.
    That's the funny part. When ATK (Federal) has a contract overrun on .40 HST, they are happy to sell us all we want without restrictions.

Makes no sense.

We get it now and then. We don't currently have any. We only get .40 S&W HST brass cased in a white box. No other calibers.

I brought home a box of Federal.40 cal Tactical 180 grain. Has anybody tried this & would it make a good load for SD?
    If that is the Federal HST 180gr then yes, that is all I carry for an SD load
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson
    Third President of the United States

The manufacturer can tell their dealers that they do not want them selling the round to non LEOs but that does not mean that a civilian cannot legally possess the round. This round is not on the NFA banned ammo list and is not restricted for possession by a civilian unless the State say it cannot be possessed. I buy it by the case when it's available at a good price.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson
    Third President of the United States

GH [OP]
    Thanks guys! I'm reassured that I didn't spend my (scarce) money on junk.
    Glenn

Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I have always used Federal ammo in 40 caliber...works for my Glocks 23/27. More recent developments in the past decade have improved theperformance of most, if not all, 40 cal ammo. Hard to go wrong with any of those listed by Cheaper than Dirt. The Federal HST's from what I've seen are top ranked.

For a good overview of ammo in a lot of different calibers check out

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

GH [OP]
    Thanks, Aphdmansoc!
    Glenn

Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Federal HST ("Tactical") is awesome ammo. The bullets are designed to expand to double their original diameter with 100% weight retention. It is my preferred carry round.
    I carry 147gr+P for 9mm and 180gr for .40 in HSTs. $22 for a box of (nickle plated) HSTs is a great price.
    My avatar picture actually shows an expanded 180gr HST. Beautiful.

HST stands for "Hi-Shok Two". It's the next generation of their older but proven "Hi-Shok" line of ammo.

GH [OP]
    NOW I know what "HST" stands for! And now it all makes sense.
    Glenn

Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links