Caliber is irrelevant in a gun fight

This is a discussion on Caliber is irrelevant in a gun fight within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is relevant....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Caliber is irrelevant in a gun fight

It is relevant.
    Attached Images
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

2. Remove Ads

Haven't seen that one in a while, Bob. It always makes me chuckle when I see that the .45 drawn as though it would hit the ground before hitting the little stick-figure guy.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I think the main take away on this is that only hits count.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    The title of that article should have been: "Most police officers involved in shootings needed more practice"
    357and40 and Bad Bob like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    ...NOTHING was mentioned about caliber...

...Again, there was no mention of caliber.

Say what you will about your favorite caliber, but these studies shows that in a gun fight, the caliber of the gun played no statistically relevant part.
    HUH??? These "studies" only show that they did not address caliber.

If you saw a "study" that showed that 20% of people who fall out of windows die, would you conclude that the "study" proves that the height of the fall "plays no statistically relevant part"? It doesn't matter whether you fall out a window in your one-story house or an 87th floor apartment? After all, the "study' doesn't mention the height of the fall.

Regards,
    Jim

Since most LEO's aren't great shots it doesn't surprise me about the hit/miss ratio,it does come back to shot placement with a large enough caliber to punch thru to the vital organs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Adhering to the very first rule of a gun fight; do not participate in one, solves these trivial pursuits of meaningless debate.

But if you couldn't, at that moment what would you rather count on for the highest percentage chance of a one shot stop?

Now, there are many good arguments against a probable one shot stop, and I agree you cannot take that for granted, however, there is also good arguments that show that it's very possible you may only have time to get off one shot.

Do you want it to be a 22,32,380, or, 38,357,9mm or 45?
    Tangle and oneshot like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    To me, caliber seems to be very relavant.

If someone is shooting a .32 acp at someone, and that someone is shooting back with say, 9mm on up, I'll put my $ on the shooter spraying 9mm, as long as they are both making hits.
    Unless I am misunderstanding the example.
    I think if they are both making hits both will likely die
    tricolordad likes this.

I would say it is an incomplete collection of data, A proper study would include every relevant factor.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

definatly need more data. that said there have been a couple account that i know of when someone was trying to protect themselves with a .22. after 4 shots at 5ft to the chest the BG was still able to assault the victim, steal their car, and make it a lil ways down the road untill the police caught them. they survived their wounds a to spend sometime in the concrete hotel. ive heard of this happening atleast 3 times. so caliber is for sure relevant, maybe even before shot placement. then again i probably wouldnt keep attacking someone if they had just shot me 1 or 2 times in the face or neck, and try to just get out of their. so IMO shot placement and caliber COULD be equally important.
    ruger91

NRA member

From what I've seen when an officer is killed in a gun fight, the BG almost always gets the critical hits in within those first several rounds fired. They are head shots, neck shots, a shot to an area which causes the officer to be incapacitated allowing the BG to walk up and finish the officer. They also get lucky hits like those that penetrate the side of the officers vest or underneath the arm pit.

The BG is usually more aggressive and have no force policy to abide by.

They also damn near always get the first shot off, which seems to be very important factor in shooting deaths of officers.

An officer is most always on the reaction side of a situation. The suspect always has the initiative. This makes a big difference.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    An officer is most always on the reaction side of a situation. The suspect always has the initiative. This makes a big difference.
    As the whole of the statement is not accurate, I would disagree with it. There are far too many folks who are dead that were part of an officer involved shooting where they either were not armed or never had a firearm in their hand when they were shot. So they did not initiate and the officer if he was being reactive at all to seeing a firearm, over reacted.

As far as the topic of this thread goes, I would agree that Caliber as well as type of bullet is very critical to the outcome. A .45 FMJ might end up being a through and through in a non-critical location (like upper right shoulder) where a .357Mag JHP hitting the same location might fully incapacitate due to the extreme damage it could cause.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I think if they are both making hits both will likely die
    Haha I was thinking that when I first saw this thread. Was waiting for some possible follow up data and sources to be cited but I guess we are not getting that?

Yeah yeah yeah If 2 men are shooting at each other and one has x caliber and one has y caliber and y caliber misses and x caliber hits I think it's safe to say that x caliber wins? Kind of a stupid thread but whatever...but yes all calibers are deadly so on and so forth. Carry what you like OP and don't feel like you have to justify it, we all carry what we want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links