Velocity VS Bullet Weight - Page 3

Velocity VS Bullet Weight

This is a discussion on Velocity VS Bullet Weight within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sensei2 zero mass at infinite speed won't do much. Yep, that's called "light". Comes out of a flashlight. Originally Posted by sensei2 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Velocity VS Bullet Weight

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    zero mass at infinite speed won't do much.
    Yep, that's called "light". Comes out of a flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    neither will infinite mass at zero velocity.
    Actually, it will. That's also known as a black hole. Very dangerous and quite possibly "the ulitmate caliber". It gets rid of EVERYTHING!
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I tend to sway towards the heavy stuff, especially for handgun ammo. Cor-Bon DPX and other rounds loaded with Barnes Bullets seem to be the exception of light weight bullets, due to their design.

However, it would be hard to argue that a big .45 traveling at 850fps will outperform a smaller, lighter, but much faster traveling a 7.62x51 traveling at 2800FPS.

It's proven that heavy and slow wins in the handgun world. But where does this reach it's end? Eventually small, light and fast takes over in the rifle world. I'm sure bullet design plays a part. I don't fully understand terminal ballistics. But I base my carry and defense choices off of what seems to be proven. 45ACP 230gr+P and 9mm 147gr HST in my defensive pistols, and .223 75gr TAP or 5.56 Mk318 62gr in my defensive rifle. I have nothing but confidence in these loads.

Shot placement being equal, I think the heavy round will perform better. But a 115gr 9mm to the face beats a 230gr .45ACP to the big toe.
    "Proven" how, when, and by whom? This is a never ending debate.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    "Proven" how, when, and by whom? This is a never ending debate.
    Yes, no, maybe? Speed is a very desirable thing to have, as long as the bullet holds up properly. Its really about balance. I believe bullet wise, Hornady XTP, Nosler, and Barnes are definitely the best of the best for driving hard and fast and maintaining enough weight to continue forward momentum during expansion.

Or, you can go heavy, and use the weight of a heavier bullet to get the necessary penetration, and maybe get expansion, or..

just go for penetration and be happy with knowing its gonna at least bore a hole where its aimed.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Seems as though within the parameters of usable handgun ammo, the larger section of the heavier bullet will be more effective. Once you leave the confines of handgun ammo, then some things change. However, even with handgun ammo shot placement can be drastically effected by recoil. Another factor. That may lead a person to limit the weight of the bullet. Sounds like each person will have to shoot some ammo and stay withing the parameters of conventional thinking about ammo, i.e. .38 - .45 in the proper weight ranges for each caliber. I'm grateful for the experience of others on this and other forums and don't hesitate to take their advice when it forms a consensus.

Rollo - The real issue for you is this...

If you're going to carry your SP101, you might as well carry your G26 with more than twice the ammo load.

If you want a handgun that weighs less than the G26, do consider the Ruger LCR. Given your luck, I'd stay away from the alloy J frame.

As far as ammo goes, I like heavy for caliber.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    This months American Rifleman has a very good article on stoping power. The Author a "jello Junkie" of sorts sites expansion penatration & velocity. In his testing bullet design plays a primary role.

The 9mm & .40 fair well much better than my fav. the .45 acp! So never having been attacked by blocks of jello I have my doubts about his findings in a "real world" setting". It is however for guys like us a good read.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Personally, I like heavy loads.

I'm no professional, nor am I that well versed in ballistics. But, I- for one- think that a sledgehammer moving a little on the slow side does more damage than a carpenter's hammer moving a little faster.

Also, the heavier bullet is more likely to retain it's weight/mass than a lighter one. While a bunch of little bits of bullet going everywhere (i.e. 'Glazer') is a pretty awesome idea, I like it. It's like tunneling into a mountain and digging a bunch of tunnels to make it collapse into itself. But, I really prefer just blasting it into a massive crater.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Rollo - The real issue for you is this...

If you're going to carry your SP101, you might as well carry your G26 with more than twice the ammo load.

If you want a handgun that weighs less than the G26, do consider the Ruger LCR. Given your luck, I'd stay away from the alloy J frame.

As far as ammo goes, I like heavy for caliber.
    Yeah, thats really my only complaint with the 101. It weighs as much as a 26 and carry's half the rounds. I will say this though. The SP 101 while the same weight, is less "bulky". It prints a lot less on my frame then the G26 does. I found my self constantly worrying about being made when I was carrying my 26 with just a t-shirt where as the 101 pretty much disappeared. The only thing worse then getting mwag'd is getting bmwag'd. I've heard the S&W model 60 is a bit smaller than the SP101 and there's a good chance that's what S&W may be sending me to replace my broken 637. My gun should be delivered back to them tomorrow so I'll have to wait and see what happens. But I have to admit... I find my self thinking that if I am going to be shooting 158g LSWCHP's then It makes more sense to go with the LCR in .38 as it's lighter. And maybe I'm crazy but I actually think it's a really sexy looking gun. The only down side to the LCR is that I like the option of being able to shoot the gun in single action.

I will say this though. I am lucky in that I am in what I consider to be a good position. I have 2 reliable guns that I can carry that I have faith in. The SP101 and the G26. I was just looking find something a bit lighter and smaller for t-shirt carry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I will say this though. I am lucky in that I am in what I consider to be a good position. I have 2 reliable guns that I can carry that I have faith in. The SP101 and the G26. I was just looking find something a bit lighter and smaller for t-shirt carry.
    Yep, that's a happy dilemma. Once we add a second or more to the stable, then we're saddled with that "which do I carry" problem. Oy!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links