Velocity VS Bullet Weight

This is a discussion on Velocity VS Bullet Weight within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Given equal shot placement, which do you think is more important. Bullet weight or velocity?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Velocity VS Bullet Weight

Given equal shot placement, which do you think is more important. Bullet weight or velocity?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I'm getting some deja vu here..... Those arguing for lighter bullets will say that they provide a bigger energy dump upon impact, better expansion, and less chance of "over-penetration". Those arguing for heavier bullets will state that penetration is by far the most important factor, thus slow and heavy wins the race.

My firearms are loaded with 147gr Ranger T's. 24/8.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Given equal shot placement, I think both will do just fine.

If it is a well placed double tap, do not think it would matter.....i would personally choose the heavier bullet, because as fast / slow as a heavy bullet travels out the end of a 45, does it really matter ? Not like it is gonna be dodged at 15 yards.....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I like heavy and fast, as well as medium and fast. I just do not believe one is as effective without the other.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I tend to carry ammunition that is "heavy for caliber," however I pay attention to bullet design above all else. I know there is no guarantee that a "premium" bullet will perform as advertised, but I do have more confidence in, say, an HST or a Gold Dot than I do an old school hollow point like the Hi Shok. The trick for ammo makers is to come up with a bullet design that will perform well at the desired velocity. Having said that, I do carry +P rounds in my carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Given equal shot placement, which do you think is more important. Bullet weight or velocity?
    You need to put reasonable boundaries on that question. A finite example: a 95 gr 9mm at 1330 ft/sec (+/-), or a 147 gr at 990 ft/sec - which is about a +/- 25% range.

But my knee-jerk response is that I would lean toward the heavier and slower bullet versus the lighter and faster. The heavier bullet is more likely to do "structural" damage to organs, blood vessels and bones by virtue of greater likelihood to penetrate more deeply than the lightweight bullet.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'd have to see the penetration/damage testing results to have a good idea of which is preferable at the expense of the other. Clearly, the balance of features that produces the greatest bloodflow/CNS damage soonest is more valuable. Can't say one is more valuable than the other.

My view has been that certain minimums in decent-quality ammunition are preferable to me, based on what I've read and tested myself (in hams/turkeys/beef). In 9mm, for example, I'm most comfortable with 124gr or greater, and ~1200fps or greater, assuming excellent reliability. But give me >400ft-lbs+ of force, every time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm assuming we're talking 9mm here? I EDC 9's and they are loaded with Ranger T 127's, medium weight at high velocity. I have no use for 147's, they ballistically castrate the 9mm round.

Both.

Whether you believe that the terminal performance of a bullet depends on kinetic energy (1/2MV^2) or momentum (MV), both physical quantitites are directly dependent on the bullet's mass and velocity.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You need to put reasonable boundaries on that question.
    Fair enough. The reason I was thinking about this was because of my recent experience with my jframe. I am seriously considering going back to carrying my SP101. While I usually say that .357 out of a snub is not a good idea, Corbon makes a 110g load that is actually quite shootable out of the the gun and maintains good velocity around 1100-1200fps. I am trying to contrast that against 158g .38 special loads moving aroun 800ish fps
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

No doubt Weight....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Rollo, with that question being more specific, I definitely say heavier and slower.
    Now, if that 110 was pushed up to 1400 or so fps, I would say either is great, but would actually really thought about the 110 at 1400. But at 1100, no thanks.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

MJK
    For energy transfer, velocity is most important since E=1/2mv^2. For momentum the two factors are equally weighted, i.e., P=mv.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

It doesn't matter. It is all in the shot placement.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links