.40 s&w vs .45 acp ballistics - Page 2

.40 s&w vs .45 acp ballistics

This is a discussion on .40 s&w vs .45 acp ballistics within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wonder how many times he had to shoot that pig before he had a air rifle one shot kill for the camera? Just saying......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: .40 s&w vs .45 acp ballistics

Wonder how many times he had to shoot that pig before he had a air rifle one shot kill for the camera? Just saying...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I have found through intensive study that hand grenades are the only for sure one shot stoppers
    Proper placement is STILL required...
    glockman10mm likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't focus on caliber.

Get the gun you want, invest in the proper carrying equipment,and get professional training.

That is all.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Is this one of the articles you read while researching? Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

If you are looking for something easy to carry, then you probably want a single stack handgun. The Glock 36, Sig P938, Bersa BP9 Concealed Carry or maybe a Kahr.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Man i wish people would quit bringing this guy up as solid info on what to carry, a 300gr xtp is the ultimate combat load for a 44amg?? Really? If you get mugged by a moose maybe, he just regurgitates what others have been saying for years. i know he's worshipped by the online community but common sense has to come into play at some point.
    bmcgilvray and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    Look at the comparison a little differently; hunting. The .45 is sometimes used as a hunting caliber, the .40 not so. One YouTube video I saw of a guy trying to finish off a wild pig, the .40 S&W just did not cut it. Granted, he may have been using JHP's which are not going to work on fatty muscular game like FMJ's, but still. OTOH, I know at least one person who hunts pigs with a .45 and it works, often with one-shot kills. To me, the .40's an overpriced and slightly souped up 9mm.
    I believe I saw that same video, it's fuzzy and possible the guy missed the shot and hit the ground right next to the pig. There is another youtube video of a guy shooting a pig under a feeder with 40 and it worked just fine. Here you go Hog Hunting with a .40 cal pistol - YouTube

I do agree with the supped up 9mm part though, but it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by nframe357 View Post
    Man i wish people would quit bringing this guy up as solid info on what to carry, a 300gr xtp is the ultimate combat load for a 44amg?? Really? If you get mugged by a moose maybe, he just regurgitates what others have been saying for years. i know he's worshipped by the online community but common sense has to come into play at some point.
    True, some do worship him, but what do you use or recommend based on "common sense"?
    Is it the "end all" of bullet recommendations? Nope. Do you have to abide by what is recommended? Nope. Is there something else better to recommend to "newbies"? I haven't seen it yet, but maybe.
    For now I'll keep bringing this "guy up". I think he recommends 9mm for carry, not .44Mag, but he did evaluate a few .44Mag rounds using the FBI Protocols. Are the FBI Protocols useful? I think so, but I am just part off the "online community".
    --Jason--

I agree with you, Blades.

Roberts has a good perspective on the topic and I've never seen him recommend the .44 for street carry. For that he sticks with premium JHPs in the "service calibers". Overall, his (Roberts) is very good advice.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Good Lord. Get the gun you want. Learn to run it well. Get help with that when you are ready. Feed it good ammo, house it in a good holster.

I love the 357 SIG. A top rate stopper, by all accounts. Have two guns chambered for it.

But I also have three 9s. And I have yet to feel undergunned when I carry one, even though it is not a 40 or a 45. I feed them the good stuff and practice at least once a week. BTW, I prefer my 45 over my 40 anymore. Learning to love 1911s.

Forget about the myth known as the "one shot stop." It's about as reliable as Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Good Lord. Get the gun you want. Learn to run it well. Get help with that when you are ready. Feed it good ammo, house it in a good holster.
    Yep, that is why I have a Glock 30sf; it is what I wanted, I am learning to run it well, I have good ammo, but I don't trust any hollowpoint to open 100% of the time, soooo just in case my 230grain Federal HST decides to plug and not expand, it is still a big round. Just in case.
    --Jason--

A suped-up 9mm would be the .357 Sig. A .40 is essentially a downloaded 10mm.

After years of reading caliber war threads and giving it much thought myself, I have concluded that caliber really does not matter. The difference between 9mm, .40 and .45 is insignificant. They ALL suck compared to high velocity rifle rounds or buckshot. With proper shot placement and ammo selection, all duty caliber handgun rounds will all work equally well 99.5% of the time. I am comfortable carrying anything 9mm or better for a primary firearm and I am okay with my .380 as a pocket gun.

The 3 popular calibers each have their own advantages. Here area few of my observations.
    9mm - capacity and lower recoil meaning better follow up shots for most people. This round also tends to irritate those who refuse to own or carry any caliber that doesn't start with a 4 and end with a 5.
    .40 - a modest compromise of capacity with power very close to 45 ACP. This round does this while using a 9mm size grip and magazine. This round also irritates those who are firmly 9mm or .45 supporters. They say it's too snappy and high pressure or something.
    .45 - a big chunk of lead. Not much else to say.

All 3 of these rounds irritate those 10mm guys and a pretty good portion of the .357 Sig people.

flame on.
    ruger91 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Wonder how many times he had to shoot that pig before he had a air rifle one shot kill for the camera? Just saying...
    Just one shot. He wasn't more than 25ft. from it and he got it right between the eyes. Pretty much an Instant kill, It was pretty impressive.

Personally, I hate the .40. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent, proven round. It's just more difficult for me to shoot accurately. I do much better with .45.

As far as ballistics go, they're both good rounds. Pick the one you shoot the best.

God I love caliber debates. They accomplish so much and are heavily biased by what people love or hate.

The 357 Magnum set the standard for defensive cartridges in the 1970's and 1980's.

The 9mm and 45 ACP have been around for 100 years. They cannot match the 357 Magnum for energy or terminal effect, close, but no cigar.

The 40 has hit LE by firestorm and became popular in the late 1990's. With bullets in the 155 grain range they match the energy of the 357 Magnum with 158 Grain bullets. With bullets in the 180 grain range they match the energy of the 180 grain 45 ACP loads and provide a soft shooting load.

The 357 Sig is the new kid on the block. It replicates the energy of the 125 grain 357 Magnum and is attracting a loyal following, it hits HARD and perps know they are hit.

With service cartridges, caliber is unimportant, pick your favorite and learn to shoot it. Energy figures alone are unreliable indicators of performance. I like to use street results to gauge the effectiveness of a cartridge, it is the only test that all factors are used and is very simple, but not without anomalies. What works for LE, what does not. Hunting gives an interesting perspective and one can draw similarities to self defense by the reactions of game animals. Some here worship jello, as it makes pretty mushrooms and can be used to predict how a bullet will perform in a laboratory environment. Interesting tool, but I will not trust the data without real world success to back it up.
    danfive555 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Most importantly, pick what cartrige/platform you shoot best.

Sounds like you don't want heavy, large or expensive, so 1911's, Sigs, H&Ks are out, as are most all-steel pistols.

Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, maybe Kahrs (they can be $$$) are in, and I'm sure some others.

In my humble opinion, .40 is the better choice out of the two. .45 is a blast to shoot though.

.40 is generally cheaper.
    .40 is smaller, allowing more rounds per mag.
    .40 is a faster round generally, which (in my amateur research) seems to be what releases the most energy into the target.

.45 is a more manageable recoil, at least for myself.
    .45 is generally a heavier bullet, which (also in my amateur research) seems to provide greater penetration, for say, fat assailants?

Check this guy out if you haven't already, I love his videos, and he takes his testing seriously.

TNOUTDOORS9 Guns and Ammo Reviews - YouTube
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

GH
    Without any graphs, charts or ballistics expert recommendation I've settled on .40 cal. No particular reason. I've shot .45, 9 MM, .38 Special, .357 mag, .25 & probably a lot more including the good old .22 in pistols. I did well in all of them. I don't particularly do any better with .40 cal but for some reason it's my favorite at this time. I've personally owned & shot .22, 9MM, .45, & now I'm on my second .40 cal. I enjoy shooting .40 cal & will probably stick with that caliber - at least until I get enough money to buy a second handgun. Then who knows? Will I stay with one caliber to make buying ammo easier? I really don't know.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links