Range report - Hornady Critical Duty .40 S&W 175gr (no ballistics)

This is a discussion on Range report - Hornady Critical Duty .40 S&W 175gr (no ballistics) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really want to believe this new round introduced by hornady is a revolution in JHP ammo... I've seen the videos and no matter what, ...

I really want to believe this new round introduced by hornady is a revolution in JHP ammo... I've seen the videos and no matter what, there is always some type of expansion (even if partial) not to mention the non-bonded (but belted) core/jacket is an awesome idea...

Looking at the shape of the bullet, it had a very angular and sharp ogive. I actually thought something like that might help with feeding (maybe not)

the ammo worked well. I didn't check the speeds with the chrono, but I will next time I hit an outdoor range.

I shot 40 rounds of it out of my M&P40 pro (5" barrel) all rounds went bang, no malfunctions of any kind.

I did run into a very big show stopped though. I'm not sure if it's the gun, the mag or the ammo.

Once the gun got a little dirty, this round would not chamber on an empty gun. so I'd run out of ammo, reload, then try to release the slide. it kept binding. To see what was going on, I loaded the gun up with Sellier&Bellot 180gr bullets, and it feeded fine. if I released the slide with my hand, it would work, but the slide release would not put it into battery... I have a video here to show what was going on. it was repeatable. I'm going to mirror polish the feedramp now, but I'm not sure if that will fix it.

As far as accuracy, it was acceptable service grade ammo. You can see what groups happened at what distance.

I'm not sure if I can rely on the round since it failed to load. I'm going to do some polishing, and try again and hopefully it works. I believe in the round, but this is a problem. I'm also going to send the video to Hornady to show them what their 'duty' round is doing...

Video from Hornady showing all the expansion through FBI mandated media

Independent test of the 9mm version through Sheetrock

Here is the video showing that it failed to chamber multiple times

Here is a group from 20 yards (to confirm my zero actually) middle is resting on bench, top left is off-hand

9 round group again at 20 yards to confirm zero again

25 yards off bench

Here is a Sellier&Bellot 180gr from 20 yards just to compare notes

nice shooting, im just not a fan of the Hornady stuff just not impressed with the results of my tests with it and esp after having a squib load in the wifes .380 of the critical defense.. I would stick to Winchester Ranger T's and Federals HST's and Speer Gold Dots,

Links