Independence Ammo

This is a discussion on Independence Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a few hundred round of Independence ammo in .45ACP 230gr FMJ. I usually buy PMC, or S&B. Figured I'd take a chance on ...

Thread: Independence Ammo

Independence Ammo

I bought a few hundred round of Independence ammo in .45ACP 230gr FMJ. I usually buy PMC, or S&B. Figured I'd take a chance on this stuff. I've never heard anything about it prior to shooting it. However, I was left rather disappointed. I put 100 rounds total through my Glock 30 and M&P45. The recoil felt almost like a 9mm. I had my G19 out with me and really the difference was very little between the S&B 9mm I was shooting and the Independence .45 I was shooting. At one point my G30 did experience a malfunction. I shrugged it off and noticed from shot to shot the recoil was different. A few shots I could almost feel the slide come back very slowly, like the slide velocity was slow. I picked up my M&P45 and felt the exact same thing. Inconsistent recoil feel, and some shots the slide felt like it moved just enough to chamber the next round. A few I thought were squibs. The shells were ejecting maybe a foot away.

Unfortunately, I still have 350 rounds of this stuff. Thinking about just pumping it out through my 1911 to get rid of it, because if my Glock or M&P malfunctions (even if it's due to something OTHER than the gun itself like mags or ammo), it makes me sad. If my 1911 malfunctions (and I know it'll be ammo related), I shrug it off as my 1911 is nothing more than a range gun. Though it it usually reliable, except with one specific mag.

Also had either a mag or human error malfunction in my AR. Tried to chamber a round from an open bolt when practicing reloads, I didn't seat the mag properly due to wearing gloves. But that's beside the point... I just had a bad range day.

But has anybody had any experience with Independence Ammo? It's loaded in CCI brass, however, I read that Federal is somehow involved. I've read reviews similar to my experience, some say it's overpowered, and some seem to have no problems at all. I had two separate guns experience the same problems with this stuff.... Even though it's practice ammo, I will say, that I'll likely never purchase it again. I've had one bad primer with PMC, but otherwise it's been perfect. Never a problem with S&B. Independence just seems too inconsistent. It also seem very dirty. There would be a very dirty patch on the brass, as it the case wasn't expanding properly.

I'm going to head back to the range tomorrow with S&B to try and ease my mind about my G30 and M&P45 running poorly. Though I still trust them as defensive guns, as it was the fault of the ammo, I don't like to end on a bad note :)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    This is the only brand of ammo that ever jammed in my XD9. I still have a box,probably will never use it.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I've shot Independence ammo in .45 and it seemed OK. As I recall, the box list a Lewiston, ID, address and I was told CCI made it. A quick search on the web has it that Independence was once made by CBC (Magtech) in Brazil, but I think that would be required to be listed on the box. CCI and Federal are both owned by a defense conglomerate called ATK.

ATK - Security and Sporting Group

My guess, and I can only guess, is it's an off-brand for ATK made by CCI. Only a guess.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've shot Indy .45 ACP ammo on two occasions without issues (in my G30). I didn't expect +p performance from a range ammo. Then again, I haven't had my wrists recoil-calibrated lately.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've shot Indy .45 ACP ammo on two occasions without issues (in my G30). I didn't expect +p performance from a range ammo. Then again, I haven't had my wrists recoil-calibrated lately.
    I'm not expecting +P performance either. However, I would prefer if my practice ammo was reliable enough to get through a range visit without issues.

Maybe I just got a bad batch.

Does anyone use or have purchased Freedom ammo ? Ammunition Online at Factory Direct Prices | Freedom Munitions | Handgun Ammo & Rifle Ammo I have been looking in their site and seem to have some cheap 5.56
    since the prices are pretty good, just wondered if anyone has used their stuff.
    thanks david

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I'm not expecting +P performance either. However, I would prefer if my practice ammo was reliable enough to get through a range visit without issues.

Maybe I just got a bad batch.
    That's possible. I once had a box of WWB that caused me all sorts of heartache. Pitched it, got some more and never had a problem after that. Even the best ammo makers turn out a few lemons every once in while.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Actually I've been through a few boxes of "Independence" ammo and it was indeed 45ACP (blue, white, black box?). I've never had a problem out of it through the Glocks or the SIG. It is however all gone now......I think.

I have been getting Independence 9mm recently. It has not been the best for me either. It has been very dirty and very inconsistent. Even from a rest it can be hard to get decent groupings with it. Can really notice differences in strength of the charge from round to round. I don't plan on buying anymore of it though, just not happy with it even though it is cheap.

I put some through my 1911. I felt the same thing. Recoil just felt really weird and weak. Took some S&B ammo with me too. Nice, strong and consistent through all of my .45's. No more Independence for me.

Links