Poor man's reloading set-ups: let's see 'em!

This is a discussion on Poor man's reloading set-ups: let's see 'em! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LeeReloaderSetUp.jpg Everybody loves the massive "man cave" reloading rooms but on the other end of the scale there are those of us who do reloading ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Poor man's reloading set-ups: let's see 'em!

Poor man's reloading set-ups: let's see 'em!

LeeReloaderSetUp.jpg

Everybody loves the massive "man cave" reloading rooms but on the other end of the scale there are those of us who do reloading on a very minimal scale: students on a budget such as myself, apartment dwellers or those whose significant other frowns on the idea of turing the living room in to a "bullet factory".

When I sold off my Dillon Square Deal and related Dillon equipment I was faced with still wanting to reload but I was on an extreme budget and space restrictions. I still had a LEE Reloader I never used.

A local woodworking biz fashioned a 2" thick piece of cypress into a reloading mount. The rear mounting hole is countersunk on the back side with a large washer inserted into it. This affair is then held by two "C" clamps purchased at Big! Lots for $2 each. I've cranked out several hundred 9mm rounds and use the included .5g dipper to dip Alliant Bullseye (bullet is 115gr FMJ). Perfect load!
    RichB70 and mano3 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Hey, that looks "the business" to me. It appears rigid and sturdy. I like single-stage presses.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Great looking setup, back when I was stationed at Travis AFB and living the barracks I used to remove one drawer from my desk and use two C-clamps to secure my Rock Chucker to the desk. Loaded many a round with that setup and as long as the First Shirt never saw it there were no problems.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've got a Lee handpress and a Frankford Arsenal stand with a 8"x8' top for my Rockchucker press.

I wouldn't exactly call this a "poor mans" setup but it's def not as high end as a lot of the setups I've seen. My dad and I built the bench ourselves out of 2x4's and counter top we got from the salvage yard. We built a second smaller bench on the other side of the room for cleaning and working on guns/etc. I'm finally getting some use out of my spare bedroom!

photo.JPG
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

well I have two presses like the OP has & Lee cast one. I use a powder thrower (Lee) and digital scale & a Lee beam scale. I didnt'nt spend alot of $$. The Tumbler & dies(4 sets)

Go Back before It's Too Late, or you'll be casting your own boolits & Then you are HOOKED ; )PS I would post a pic, but not willing to LEARN, & my daughter moved out a few years back
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I wish I could say I had such a humble beginning, but alas, I started with the silver spoon in my mouth. The Air Force gave me a re-enlistment bonus and I bought a Dillon 650 with all the extras, however I do have a Lee single stage next to it for depriming military brass so I can run it through the super swage.
    Molon Labe

I have a lee turret bolted to a bench in the man cave, but really I have done a fair bit of reloading out of a tool box with the lee hand press. Slow? Sure, but I can deprime and resize and prime in front anywhere (I'm certainly not admitting that I've done this at work on the weekends or evenings), like in front of the tv. The only part that requires a bit more concentration is scooping in the powder.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Compared to what's out there, I consider this a poor man's reloading bench LOL

I got probably around $4000 in reloading/casting equipment,but it made me "poor" does that count
    Poseidon likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Compared to what's out there, I consider this a poor man's reloading bench LOL

you need the official "Stack On" calender on your wall over the bench!

I love the first setup, makes me want to build one and get into reloading now, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by James702 View Post
    I love the first setup, makes me want to build one and get into reloading now, LOL.
    Thank you. I also have a Lee Hand Press (the older type) that I use to de-prime and resize cases.

I use the very simple (and inexpensive) Lee Ram Prime to prime cases.

I really like the Lee Carbide 4-die pistol sets (mine's 9mm). Included in the set are:

1. directions and load data for chosen caliber
    2. Shellholder for chosen caliber
    3. Powder dipper
    4. Resizing/depriming die
    5. Powder thru-expander die (flares case mouth, allows powder charge to be dropped in either with a disc dispenser or a simple Lee powder funnel which I use
    6. Bullet seating and crimping die (seats bullets and crimps, too. If using the Lee Factory Crimp die as last step you don't use the crimp feature on this die)
    7. Lee Factory Crimp Die (crimps case around the bullet and resizes slightly out-of-spec rounds back to spec for perfect chamber fit)

Price on this set was very reasonable. I miss my Dillon, but going from Blue to Red wasn't all that bad.

Im not equiped to post pics on the net yet. but i have a lee pro 1000 progresive setup for two calibers and getting ready to load 223. Also a lee load all shotgun loader. A frankford arsenal tumbler and other misc items all mounted to a bench on sale from menards. I want to eventually start casting my own bullets. Not sure but its probably as poor as you can get. Happy loading.

My first in 30-06 many years ago ,,,, and still one of the cheapest, best field loading setup ,,,,

Reloading with a Lee Loader - YouTube

check out the man himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links