Magtech Guardian Gold .380 +P 85gr JHP??? Anyone shot this stuff?

This is a discussion on Magtech Guardian Gold .380 +P 85gr JHP??? Anyone shot this stuff? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious about this stuff and wonder how it does expansion-wise and how it chronos. No SAMMI qualifiers on .380 +P, right? I guess calling ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cz75luver

Thread: Magtech Guardian Gold .380 +P 85gr JHP??? Anyone shot this stuff?

Magtech Guardian Gold .380 +P 85gr JHP??? Anyone shot this stuff?

I'm curious about this stuff and wonder how it does expansion-wise and how it chronos.

No SAMMI qualifiers on .380 +P, right? I guess calling it that is good marketing for magtech. it caught my eye.

Is Magtech Guardian Gold .380 +P 85gr JHP a new product for Magtech?

I saw it online, ordered some and I it came in today. Cost was $11.99 for 20. I'm hoping it's decent self defense ammo. If it is, it's a bargain

Anyone here tried it out?

I'll be range shooting it sometime over the weekend but I have no way to test it for expansion or FPS so i won't be able to tell you guys much about it.

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

I have used Magtech ammo for over 3 years in my 454 Taurus Raging Bull,,,It has a good track record with me, and has put down plenty of hogs!
    I just bought some 380 ammo for my new Ruger LCP,,,Ill let you know when I go to the range

I've shot some, used to carry this for a short while when .380 was virtually impossible to get a few years back. Functioned fine in LCP and Kel-Tec, no malfunctions of any kind. Can't directly address expansion or other performance beyond function in gun.
    Last edited by BamaT; August 25th, 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I haven't shot the JHP variety, but I've put hundreds and hundreds of the FMJ Magtech .380's through my Sig P238 with no disappointments. I tend to consider Magtech to be "range ammo" and stick with Federal and Speer/CCI for SD rounds.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
    I'm curious about this stuff and wonder how it does expansion-wise and how it chronos.

No SAMMI qualifiers on .380 +P, right? I guess calling it that is good marketing for magtech. it caught my eye.
    Nope, no SAAMI standards for +P in .380.

I wonder if that means that MagTech has actually exceeded the SAAMI MAP standard for .380 ammo with this load or is it simply an advertising gimmick?
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Remember, that increased velocities lead to LESS penetration with JHP bullets. Instead of 10", you get 8" due to the sooner expansion. More force hitting the target, but lets remember...

A 220g .45 caliber pistol round hits the target with the force of a 10lb weight dropped from .74 inches.

A 90g 380 will be much less. Using a +P round will help a FMJ bullet but hurt a JHP because it already fails to penetrate properly (12" FBI recommended)

Only a spine/head hit will immediately stop the attacker. If you are shooting center mass, you want penetration.

IMHO, a weapons effectiveness comes down to it's ability to hit a vital organ which typically comes down to point of impact and penetration. In a .380, I'm not aware of any JHP that penetrates the FBI recommended amount. While I have JHP, I load my .380 with FMJ.
    sparkykb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mick53 View Post

Is Magtech Guardian Gold .380 +P 85gr JHP a new product for Magtech?

I saw it online, ordered some and I it came in today. Cost was $11.99 for 20. I'm hoping it's decent self defense ammo. If it is, it's a bargain

Anyone here tried it out?

I'll be range shooting it sometime over the weekend but I have no way to test it for expansion or FPS so i won't be able to tell you guys much about it.

Thanks,

I tested it last April. Pocket Guns and Gear: testing Magtech Guardian Gold 380 AUTO +P 85 Grain JHP

Please read the disclaimer about using +P ammo in any pistol. Check with the pistol manufacturer before using any +P loading.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Links