7.62x39mm Drought

7.62x39mm Drought

This is a discussion on 7.62x39mm Drought within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was down at J&G Guns here in Prescott lookin for a new stock for my SKS. I then moved to the counter and started ...

Thread: 7.62x39mm Drought

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

7.62x39mm Drought

I was down at J&G Guns here in Prescott lookin for a new stock for my SKS. I then moved to the counter and started listing off the ammo I needed. The gives a light laugh and waves his hand to the back counter. The nearly empty back counter.... "That's ALL I have and we just had a truck come in two days ago."

Appearently almost all of the 7.62 ammo is drying up in the United States. I asked if there was a certain reason and he said that just about everyone had mentioned the possible war with Iran. Supposedly the plant in Russia that Wolf buys from is running max capacity and can't keep up and the cost is going up.

Anyone else notice this? I looked on a few sites and tried to find some at decent prices, but without much luck. Any suggestions?

PS - These guys were out of everything in the popular calibers. Including 9mm Makarov...
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    Sure seems we are suffering both shortages and cost hikes. We had a thread IIRC not too long ago on this.

I remember paying $80 a case for Wolf 7.62x39 only a year or more ago!!! Gunshow that was so no shipping which helped. Last I heard someone mention was $165 or so

Because of this situation I have held back on my two unopened cases and just shoot the odd batch of the open case these days.

Not sure where best to look really as not needed to be buying in recent times so much - apart from WWB here and there. Maybe phone around a bit. Not sure what Ammoman has these days.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Have not been able to confirm it yet, but supposedly the ATF has changed the de-mill regs to state, "Torch cut, with internal parts in place....". No boltcarriers, bolts, pins, or trigger groups (tho, those are available, US made). The DIY kits are going the way of the do-do, if true.................at least for under $600

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Hmmmmmm,...lets see. > 7.62x39 ammo is drying up. Possible war with Iran. U.S. forces do not use the 7.62x39 round. Who does? Good buddies of Russia ? The same country that voted AGAINST sanctions on Iran. Hmmmmm ?? ---------

VIP Member
    I just checked the ammoman.com site...he seems to have 7.62 x 39 in stock.

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm:
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Many places still do, but the "Usual Suspects" have unusually bare shelves.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Have not been able to confirm it yet, but supposedly the ATF has changed the de-mill regs to state, "Torch cut, with internal parts in place....". No boltcarriers, bolts, pins, or trigger groups (tho, those are available, US made). The DIY kits are going the way of the do-do, if true.................at least for under $600

Rob, you've lost me on this post. Can you tell me what you are talking about?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Lead Moderator
    Seems as if prices are going up a bit. I have heard reasons from metal prices rising to the war in Iraq.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    The 7.62x39mm is bad? Trust me, the supply of 5.45x39mm was worse....I only recently managed to purchase some Wolf and Silver Bear ammo recently....and who knows how long the stocks will last.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I passed up on buying a couple 5.45x39 rifles a few years ago because the ammo wasn't that common. Now I'm glad I made that choice. I've kept my gun buying to reloadable calibers and my surplus ammo stays where it is.

See my thread about IMI not coming into the Country anymore.

There's a war going on.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I got a bunch from AIM last month - they may still have some.

Sponsored Links