Best SD ammo

This is a discussion on Best SD ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know the opinion will vary shooter to shooter. But I'm looking for the best SD ammo for my xDM .40 4.5". Please give me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best SD ammo

Best SD ammo

I know the opinion will vary shooter to shooter. But I'm looking for the best SD ammo for my xDM .40 4.5". Please give me your opinions and why so I'm not spending 100s of dollars testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

I'll post the obligatory:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

This is my opinon on this subject. All bullets are lethel some more than others however, its mindset, marksmanship, and tactics that win gunfights. Not the larger caliber bullet or what bullet you have in your gun.

You must hit your intended target with every round you fire in order to neutralize the threat and reduce your liability. Not hitting your intended target puts innocent people at risk. Look at the Empire State Building shooting in New York, recently perp was hit as well as innocent civilians and NYPD needs to stop making excuses and compensate those who where hit.

What is the best round really does not matter much if you can shoot but everyone has a round they perfer. I would say the Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

There's alot of good brand's out there... I use Winchester Ranger T's and Federal HST's some of the best of expansion and penetration... can't go wrong with either...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    multistage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiphted View Post
    Please give me your opinions...
    Sure, happy to do so.

Regardless of caliber, I prefer heavy-for-caliber JHPs- that is, 147 gr. for the 9mm, 180 gr. for the .40 and 230 gr. for the .45

HSTs, PDX1s, XTPs, HydraShoks, Golden Sabres, Gold Dots- they are all available in 147 gr. weights so there is no shortage of options.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Auuuuuugh!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I'll post the obligatory:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    This ...................
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    This is my opinon on this subject. All bullets are lethel some more than others however, its mindset, marksmanship, and tactics that win gunfights. Not the larger caliber bullet or what bullet you have in your gun.

You must hit your intended target with every round you fire in order to neutralize the threat and reduce your liability. Not hitting your intended target puts innocent people at risk. Look at the Empire State Building shooting in New York, recently perp was hit as well as innocent civilians and NYPD needs to stop making excuses and compensate those who where hit.

What is the best round really does not matter much if you can shoot but everyone has a round they perfer. I would say the Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot.
    Thanks for the wall of texts that honestly wasn't needed or warranted. I spent 5 1/2 years in the army while also doing 4 levels of combatives training along with 3 different levels of self defense training. I am just wanting an opinion from others. No answer is right or wrong in this case.

if there is a "best", we can't be certain, because we cannot test by shooting human beings of different sizes in various states of agitation and clothing. if there ever is a "best" that everyone agrees upon, and it is readily available and reasonably priced, then everyone will be using it. and given the way technology advances these days, what's "best" today will probably be superceded next year.

by all means, read what everyone has to say and then make your own choices.

for me, if it is an SD load from a reputable manufacturer, and it feeds, fires and cycles 100% in my gun, and is at least "minute of bad guy" accurate, i'm not going to lose sleep wondering if it is the "best" load. at the moment my choices are Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dots.

Exactly why I want people to way in on there opinion no right or wrong. Everything changes daily so I'm curious about what people think.

Having never shot anybody, or know a guy who has shot someone and is glad to talk about it, all I (and just about everybody here) can do is go by reputation and review. Federal HST seems to be the favorite around here, but Gold Dots, Rangers, PDX, all seems to be just as good. Lots of folks hang their hats on gelatin tests (usually performed by somebody else). Our LEOs around here run Federal Bonded, and I think they picked a good one. I carry 180 grain HST or Rangers in my SIG 229 40, simply because both have excellent reputations, cost me about 26 bucks for 50 rounds, and are locally available.

I think that's sensible enough.

Federal HST
    Winchester Ranger-T
    Speer Gold Dot
    Barne's DPX bullet

In my opinion, these are the best bullets for self defense. I carry HSTs. I prefer heavy for caliber.

VIP Member
    Though I never shot a human but I have shot a wild boar with this round and it did quite well. My vote would be for CorBon DPX.

Thanks guys. I'll give a few if these some range time this month.

40 cal | SGAmmo.com
    This has been a very good source for premium SD rounds. They have HSTs and Gold Dots for every duty caliber and decent prices. My orders have shipped the next day. .40 Ranger-Ts are getting pretty hard to find.

Edit: Try to always buy SD rounds in 50rd LE packaging. Gold Dots are nearly half the price that way, compared to the civilian packaging.
    HST and Ranger-T are marketed to LE only, so they'll only come in 50 round boxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links