Best or Suggested .45LC Ammo for Taurus Judge in a SD Situation?

This is a discussion on Best or Suggested .45LC Ammo for Taurus Judge in a SD Situation? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a Doctor friend call today asking what is the best defensive .45LC ammo for a Taurus Judge. I am not familure with this revolver ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Best or Suggested .45LC Ammo for Taurus Judge in a SD Situation?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Had a Doctor friend call today asking what is the best defensive .45LC ammo for a Taurus Judge. I am not familure with this revolver other than knowing it is a revolver. It is not something I personally would own but I am sure some here may do so. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and information.

Regards
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Well...you can use .410 in it as well so It could depend on where he intends to use it. Is he using it as a carry gun or for home, vehicle defense? It can really depend on the situation. I use less powerful ammo in the house because I have kids and there's no telling where theyll be, but out and about i grab the best load i can afford.

BTW, theres also a long gun version of the judge available. My wallyworld has them for sale.

I would go with a lead SWC myself.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    .410 long guns are universaly scorned by hunters as not having enough payload to deliver a clean kill on small game birds. The advertised velocity for the larger 3" shell is 1135 fps.

O.K. so some engineer figured out how to stretch a revolver frame to accommodate 5 .410 shells. I don't really get it. With a short revolver barrel 2.5 to 6 inches there is going to be a lot of velocity loss. The common defence load is 3 to 5 00 buck pellets moving 700 to maybe 900 fps. Impact of that load at very close range would most likley be effective but penatration would be limited. So a good load maybe from arcoss a average room,& wouldent penatrate very far through wallboard.

So with a .410 "buckshot" loaded revolver it would seem to me to be a very mission specific weapon. Hopefully the BG wouldent be wearing a heavy leather jacket.

If it were me I would use the Taurus Judge loaded with .410 shells only if I was in snake country. It would be perfect in that applacation, loaded of course with #71/2 bird shot.

The .45 Colt round has been "saving bacon" for 139 years & the defence loads for the grand old round have only gotten better over time.

PS Re-read your question sorry about the .410 rant. Looks like the Dr. knows all that stuff.

Now my short answer, I always liked the Federal 225 grain LSWCHP.

I was just saying that if he was going to put it in his car, then .410 would be alright for a would be carjacker since they generally reach in through the window...

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    OK, let me go furthere. He is a She and she already has .410 cartridges. She is wanting to add .45 long colt in addition to that. Michael, the SWC was my first thought but I really have no experence with this firearem and barrel configuration. I entertained the .45 Long Colt Hornady Critical Defense FTX JHP 185 Grain 20 Round Box 920 fps Personal Defense Ammunition. Slow traveling at about 900+ FPS but I also thought of the 45 Long Colt Hornady Flat Point Cowboy Load Pistol 255 Grain 725 fps which is a SWC configuration. Would a Federal - .45 Long Colt SWC 225 gr be a better choice? Frankly folks this Lady is not afraid of recoil and definately not afraid of pulling the triger on the range or when SHTF. She has has ask me for information and since I can't really offer anything solid, I turn to you all. I suspect there is several hundred years of combined experence here. Help me help her.

Regards,

Diddle
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

While it may not be the best, CCI Blazer 200JHP chronographs at around 950fps out of 4 5/8" barrel and comes in 50rd boxes.
    glockman10mm likes this.

I suggest Hornady Critical Defense. It's no bear load, but I think it's very appropriate for 2 legged critters.
    I think Hornady knew what they were doing with the CD for .45 Colt because of the popularity of the Judge, and it's probably well suited for it.

Ammo for Taurus Judge

I my suggestion for any side arm is .45lc Glaser Safety Slug and for any of my sidearm calibers( complete stopping power and instant death). I also say for the .410 I would go with the Winchester PDX1. I round out my Judge with 3 Glaser and 2 PDX1 in mine so if if I have to use it I am complete woth the applications it is meant to be used for.

Other than a box or two of really old Remington 255 grain flat nosed lead bullets, all my .45 Colt shooting has been with 250 grain lead semi-wadcutters handloaded to about 825-850 fps. That's exactly what I would choose if the Colt New Service was pressed into service for self-defense. The .45 Colt doesn't receive much attention these days but it really is one of the very finest self-defense cartridges going, if one can deal with the size of the revolvers. There's a lot to be said for large diameter and heavy lead slugs. They trump silly .410 shells for a start.

Here's a link of what's suppose to be out there. Don't know how current it is.
    45 Colt Ballistics | Ballistics 101
    Cuda66 and grouse like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Oh and actually the term .45 Long Colt is incorrect. Unlike the .32, .38, and .41 Colt proprietary cartridges originating in the 19th century with both "short" and "long" versions, there never was a .45 Short Colt. It's just .45 Colt.

Yeah, I know at least one manufacturer has recently committed the faux pas of actually labeling their .45 Colt product as .45 "Long" Colt but they're simply wrong. And trying to muddy the waters with the suggestion that the .45 Schofield, or the short British service numbers: the .450 Boxer, and .455 Webley necessitated that the "Long" prefix be added to the .45 Colt cartridge in order to avoid confusion with 19th century merchants, just won't wash.
    grouse likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My .45 Colt guns are single-action revolvers carried in rural areas. I prefer the Hornady 45 Colt 225 gr FTX LEVERevolution for flatter shooting rounds at distances.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

In .45 Colt, it's kinda hard to beat a big, heavy wad of soft lead.

Gimme those 255gr FNs, or SWC's anyday.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I say all.410
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Gotta agree with my brothers Cuda and Bryan on this one. Big ol flat Keith style bullet at 900 fps in a 45 Colt is hard to go wrong with.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links