10mm vs. 327 magnum which is better for home defense - Page 2

10mm vs. 327 magnum which is better for home defense

This is a discussion on 10mm vs. 327 magnum which is better for home defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gregcheck I was pondering this thought the other night, which round would you consider being the better of the two for home ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 10mm vs. 327 magnum which is better for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by gregcheck View Post
    I was pondering this thought the other night, which round would you consider being the better of the two for home defense. I realize caliber size and bullet weight alone will put the 10mm in the lead on this one. My question is which would be the "lesser" of the two evils if it had to be fired inside your home, do you think the 10mm would be as bad or worse than firing the 327magnum? The 10mm ( 165gr JHP) would come out of a full size 1911 & the 327 ( 75gr DPX) would come from a SP101 with a 3" barrel. I was just looking for some insight, I was debating the differences between the two for a " night stand" gun. I currently now use my 10mm, keep in mind I am NOT worried about over penatration more about the after effects of firing a weapon in my home and what it will do to my hearing... like I said any insight would be great
    G
    I doubt that there is any practical difference between the two when it comes to damaging your hearing. Handgun calibers from .25ACP to .44 Mag produce muzzle blast on the order of 155 dB- the 10mm and .327 Magnum will both damage your hearing.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

10mm all the way! Not just because thats what I carry but between the two you do have more rounds if multiple BGs. My Delta is the go to gun for everything within 25 yards. Now if you can't handle the full power loads then yes you are better off with the 327 mag but if you can't handle it for the full 7 rounds find something else that you can be good with. Missing 7 or more times does you no good, so make sure you are comfortable with what ever you choose to bet your families life with.
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    The average house has enough carpet and upholstery that the decibels won't be as bad as you might expect, granted it will be loud and I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. See pic below; a revolver will guide sound waves in a "more" direct pattern to your ears (via gas escaping out the sides of the cylinder to barrel gap) than a semi-auto (all gas forward). Will it make that much difference inside a house? I don't know, I haven't tested it. And I'm not going to. That said, lately I've been keeping a 2 inch barreled Dan Wesson revolver and a speed loader at bedside, though with 38Sp +Ps in it.

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Can we play anything for you?
    Anything! Just play it loud! Okay

On topic: 10 mm

That's a rough decision. But my opinion, if considering revolvers, stick with the classics. Get a .357mag and load it with .38s if you want something of a bit of a lighter load. Both are tried and true calibers.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "The average house has enough carpet and upholstery that the decibels won't be as bad as you might expect,..."

Carpet and upholstery will have no effect on the decibel level.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Especially in a hallway.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Fired indoors, any handgun is going to hurt your ears... and is probably just as likely to damage your hearing. Don't sacrifice power for your hearing, as there's no point anyway.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.
    -- John F. Kennedy

A Glock 20SF sits in my night stand with a mounted light. I strongly recommend the 10mm.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Why would you use either of these rounds for home defense? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they both have great terminal ballistics. However, consider their "post-terminal" ballistics. You are surely going to over-penetrate with either of these rounds.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Why would you use either of these rounds for home defense? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they both have great terminal ballistics. However, consider their "post-terminal" ballistics. You are surely going to over-penetrate with either of these rounds.
    Any of the handgun calibers out there will penetrate beyond most walls in a house. So doesn't really matter. A 9mm, .40, .45, etc etc will penetrate 2 sets of walls.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Oh yes, 10mm, bore size starts with a 4 that's a start.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    What if somebody shoots a 10mm equally as well as a 9mm, .45, .40?

He generally likes heavier bullets. 10mm's are .40's that go much faster. Seems like a good deal to me.

I am positively sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that you cannot shoot a 10mm as quickly and accurately as you can a 9mm so that is not an issue.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    I am positively sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that you cannot shoot a 10mm as quickly and accurately as you can a 9mm so that is not an issue.
    I see your point, but if you put the round in the right place, don't need to. I have 155 grain pills doing about 1,360 FPS and my 180 grain over 1,200 FTS. You could be surprise how fast you can shoot a 10mm when trained. Accuracy first then work on speed.Been shooting one since early 90's.Very happy with the round. I also like the old but very good 45ACP.
    Last edited by SatCong; September 6th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "The average house has enough carpet and upholstery that the decibels won't be as bad as you might expect,..."

Carpet and upholstery will have no effect on the decibel level.
    You're right, I stated that badly. It would absorb 'some' sound (stop it from reverberating) and not be as hard on your ears.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links