10mm vs. 327 magnum which is better for home defense

This is a discussion on 10mm vs. 327 magnum which is better for home defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was pondering this thought the other night, which round would you consider being the better of the two for home defense. I realize caliber ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 10mm vs. 327 magnum which is better for home defense

I was pondering this thought the other night, which round would you consider being the better of the two for home defense. I realize caliber size and bullet weight alone will put the 10mm in the lead on this one. My question is which would be the "lesser" of the two evils if it had to be fired inside your home, do you think the 10mm would be as bad or worse than firing the 327magnum? The 10mm ( 165gr JHP) would come out of a full size 1911 & the 327 ( 75gr DPX) would come from a SP101 with a 3" barrel. I was just looking for some insight, I was debating the differences between the two for a " night stand" gun. I currently now use my 10mm, keep in mind I am NOT worried about over penatration more about the after effects of firing a weapon in my home and what it will do to my hearing... like I said any insight would be great
    G

If someone is in your home illegally, then your hearing will have to be put on the back burner. The goal at that point is to be alive the next day. Hearing loss is a serious issue if you shoot a lot, and proper hearing protection is essential, but if you really have to shoot somebody in self defense, putting rounds com is the only thing that matters.

The 10mm is a nasty round by all accounts. You've made the right choice.

The .327 is probably sufficient as well.
    oneshot and Footslogger like this.

Senior Moderator
    I do believe that you would not be able to tell a difference between the two just by listening to them.

Stick with the 10mm
    kmagnuss likes this.
    You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Hearing damages is well within the capabilities of either I'm sure, and hearing damage is the least of your concerns if things have deteriorated to the point of actually shooting an assailant inside your home.

Between the two I'd happily choose the 10mm.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Why keep it between those two rounds while here are much better choices out there for HD?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

If I had an open choice Id say neither, both are too big, but being made to choose, Id go with the 10mm only because in the future, youre more likely, to find ammo for it.

Temporary hearing loss like others have said is insignificant, and irrelevant, in a home defense situation.

Your exposure to a psychologically distressing event like your home being invaded will send you adrenaline runnining wild, and you wont even notice the blast or the flash. Most people who are untrained will go in to fight or flight response, and for that reason, I prefer a smaller caliber handgun for home defense.

10mm FTW.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Hmm.

Seven shot GP100. 115gr Gold Dots @ 1300fps.

Sixteen shot Glock 20. 180gr Gold Dots @ 1300fps (Underwood ammo)

Was there a serious question there?
    Fisher10 and kmagnuss like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I'll go with the 10mm as it's a auto loader and holds more rounds, not to mention the horse power factor... Either or is fine in the role, but just to answer the question honestly, there you have it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Are you willing to lose your life to save your hearing? Just shoot--with anything.

I don't know about the 10mm, but the one .357 I owned (Ruger BH) was, shall we say, an ear-splitter!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    Why keep it between those two rounds while here are much better choices out there for HD?
    I don't know, man. What is better than the 10mm in terms of ballistics? There's a reason why people carry it in bear country.

Yer kidding right?

R. Lee Ermy voice: "quit worrying about your damned hearing!"

Really.....don't be concerned with it unless you plan on shooting ALOT in your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I don't know, man. What is better than the 10mm in terms of ballistics? There's a reason why people carry it in bear country.
    Yes there is, but not many bears attack houses.

What is better than 10mm?

I believe this article written by Dr. Gary K Roberts, a doctor and ballistician, will answer any questions you may have.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    Yes there is, but not many bears attack houses.

What is better than 10mm?

I believe this article written by Dr. Gary K Roberts, a doctor and ballistician, will answer any questions you may have.

Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums
    I didn't see anything about 10mm in there. Maybe I missed a sentence, but I glanced over the whole page.

He said there isn't that much difference in handgun calibers, so carry what you shoot best. What if somebody shoots a 10mm equally as well as a 9mm, .45, .40?

He generally likes heavier bullets. 10mm's are .40's that go much faster. Seems like a good deal to me.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    .327 mag. still trying to find a reason for it's own exsistance.

10mm- Loaded to it's original specs it's the reason the earth rotates. By the way, DR. Gary K. Roberts is an opinionated bore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links