5.56 vs. .45

This is a discussion on 5.56 vs. .45 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Wiggity, I'd say that's a pretty bold statement. But if so, please enlighten me, I'm always up to learning something new. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 5.56 vs. .45

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Wiggity, I'd say that's a pretty bold statement. But if so, please enlighten me, I'm always up to learning something new.

Seems to me the best you can do is quote scripture from the bible of old FBI data and insult others opinion while only being able to repeat studies you have read and have adopted as your own knowledge.

You will never, ever, read where I quote from studies or tests that others have done. What I say is what I believe from my own experience. I don't need anyone to do my thinking for me, especially a parrot.
    The ability to parrot information is not the same thing as understanding the information.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Which brings me back to:

Pistols are pistols.
    Rifles are rifles.

The 5.7x28 is not a rifle round.
    Actually it's a rifle round. Pistol was made after.

So you agree 5.7 is the best round since it's a rifle round that comes out of a pistol.

I think you have touch faith in the 5.7. Great round, but i wouldn't compare it to a .223

Sent from my Jelly bean Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Wiggity, I'd say that's a pretty bold statement. But if so, please enlighten me, I'm always up to learning something new.

Seems to me the best you can do is quote scripture from the bible of old FBI data and insult others opinion while only being able to repeat studies you have read and have adopted as your own knowledge.

You will never, ever, read where I quote from studies or tests that others have done. What I say is what I believe from my own experience. I don't need anyone to do my thinking for me, especially a parrot.
    Good god. How does posting an informative article mean I am a parrot? You clearly cannot think these things through.

Exactly what experience are you blabbering on about? How many people have you tested these rounds on to come to your conclusion?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    Good god. How does posting an informative article mean I am a parrot? You clearly cannot think these things through.

Exactly what experience are you blabbering on about? How many people have you tested these rounds on to come to your conclusion?
    Don't act like you are all of a sudden completely oblivious to this entire statement. I'm not going to let you off that easy, or back pedal. So I'll recap to refresh your memory, since you have suddenly forgotten.

You stated that I was completely clueless about the yawing effects of bullets in relation to wounding performance. You attacked my opinion without provocation in a rude manner.
    So I asked you to share your knowledge and enlighten me, but I guess you forgot that too.

As for my experience, it's something I don't like to put out there, or throw around. But since you really want to know, I was stationed in Quantico VA from 88-89, and while I did not directly have anything to do with the development of testing data, I did teach small weapons and tactics at the academy and the basic school, ( OCS).

So I did have first hand information on specifics of various goals with respect to development of ammunition, and I have seen this information become more and more distorted over time.

As far as my experience shooting stuff, let's just say I didn't get the assignment because I am pretty.

So, now, I'll ask you again, please enlighten me on where I am so, what's the word, clueless as to wounding ballistics?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Rifle v pistol bullet terminal effects

AFAIK - under the right circumstances, a rifle bullet has the potential to cause permanent wounds, via their more violent (compared to a pistol bullet) temporary stretch cavity

In general, pistol bullets do not cause permanent wounds via their (relatively weak) temporary stretch cavity - they only wound tissue they actually touch

Hopefully we can all agree on that
    glockman10mm and sparkykb like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

In for outcome.......I'm leaning with the glockman on this one. Experience trumps "science"any day of the week

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post

That was not a very tactful statement.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    That was not a very tactful statement.
    Strong internet bad boy......lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Strong internet bad boy......lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Well you know what they say...an armed society is a polite society.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

True story

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I can't get my head around the comparison of getting hit by a car and a temporary wound cavity.

Either way, permanent results are final. And temporary is just that...temporary.
    I'd argue that the temporary wound cavity is actually quite permanent. It's also much larger because of the amount of air displaced by the bullet. I'm sure you've seen what a 5.56 wound looks like. I hit a prairie dog at 300 yards the other day with a .223 and it was split in half. I also had one that I shot with a .45 at close range. One clean hole. I'm not going to say that a rifle has more killing power, but I will say it has more killing potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I'd argue that the temporary wound cavity is actually quite permanent. It's also much larger because of the amount of air displaced by the bullet. I'm sure you've seen what a 5.56 wound looks like. I hit a prairie dog at 300 yards the other day with a .223 and it was split in half. I also had one that I shot with a .45 at close range. One clean hole. I'm not going to say that a rifle has more killing power, but I will say it has more killing potential.
    I'd say your right. As long as that velocity is up there the results can be pretty spectacular. I can relate with that comparison. You can also apply that to using a 22lr vs a 22 mag on small game. Quite a difference.

This is always going to be a point of debate, until people realize that it's simply two different ways of achieving the same goal, both with limits, advantages and vices.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Don't act like you are all of a sudden completely oblivious to this entire statement. I'm not going to let you off that easy, or back pedal. So I'll recap to refresh your memory, since you have suddenly forgotten.

You stated that I was completely clueless about the yawing effects of bullets in relation to wounding performance. You attacked my opinion without provocation in a rude manner.
    So I asked you to share your knowledge and enlighten me, but I guess you forgot that too.

As for my experience, it's something I don't like to put out there, or throw around. But since you really want to know, I was stationed in Quantico VA from 88-89, and while I did not directly have anything to do with the development of testing data, I did teach small weapons and tactics at the academy and the basic school, ( OCS).

So I did have first hand information on specifics of various goals with respect to development of ammunition, and I have seen this information become more and more distorted over time.

As far as my experience shooting stuff, let's just say I didn't get the assignment because I am pretty.

So, now, I'll ask you again, please enlighten me on where I am so, what's the word, clueless as to wounding ballistics?
    So you have no personal experience with anything in the "real world" when it comes to wounding ballistics.

Perfect, neither do I. Looks like we are both regurgitating. You, sir, have no more experience with wounding ballistics than I do.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

God bless Robert Anson Heinlein.

The number of the Beast is a wonderful read...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I'd say your right. As long as that velocity is up there the results can be pretty spectacular. I can relate with that comparison. You can also apply that to using a 22lr vs a 22 mag on small game. Quite a difference.

This is always going to be a point of debate, until people realize that it's simply two different ways of achieving the same goal, both with limits, advantages and vices.
    Back pedaling are we?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links