Using Wolf Ammo

This is a discussion on Using Wolf Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Using Wolf Ammo

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

Using Wolf Ammo

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    My main complaint with Wolf Ammo is with my M1 carbine. The Wolf .30 carbine round apparently doesn't produce enough pressure and the gas piston does not always have enough force to fully cycle the bolt. It is great for FTE/FTF drills but not reliable enough for me to use
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member

Thumbs up

I agree with your findings, MA.

Based on your recommendation in an old video, I picked up a case of WPA and ran 1000 rnds through my PSA the first weekend that I had it. Other than the burnt powder smelling like cat pee, every single round performed as designed. I keep it in stock now. Glocks? Well, I haven't found a brand of ammo that my Glocks wouldn't run. They are after all, Glocks.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I agree with your findings, MA.

Based on your recommendation in an old video, I picked up a case of WPA and ran 1000 rnds through my PSA the first weekend that I had it. Other than the burnt powder smelling like cat pee, every single round performed as designed. I keep it in stock now. Glocks? Well, I haven't found a brand of ammo that my Glocks wouldn't run. They are after all, Glocks.
    LOL, true the Glock statement.

My original "Truth About Wolf Ammo" video didn't address the issues I covered in this video. In the 1.5 years since the last video I've read other comments/concerns about the use of the ammo. I also wanted to include an accuracy demonstration since I see people claim all the time that Wolf is "inaccurate junk". In my experience its no more inaccurate than most surplus ammo or range grade brass cased ammo like that offered by PMC, Remington, Winchester, etc.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

I have a Springfield XD and I have never had a issue with ammo, but I try to stay away from the real inexpensive stuff. I have read that you can feed and XD (Glock, M&P etc..) and it will be fine, but I always had concerns with stell cased ammo and I refuse to try it "just in case". I have seen wolf ammo cases get stuck in ARs, fail to extract in hand guns and have squib shots. I have never used wolf ammo, but I am a great believer "you get what you pay for". Anyway, my 2 cents.
    JerryMac likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Interesting video, thank you for your presentation!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

sgb
    I've always subscribed to garbage in garbage out.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I've always ran wolf ammo with no issues in my guns since I got heavy into shooting 3 or so years ago because it's cheap. I run it less so now that I reload but I like to keep a couple cases of factory 223 and 9mm on hand in case I need to fend off the Tea Party and that ammo I keep on hand is Wolf. The only thing I can really say about it is that I have never found it particularly accurate but on the other hand I am not a particularly great marksman so I can't really blame it on the ammo.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The very clear and mature way of sharing information on these clips is refreshing. Watching many shooting videos on YouTube is maddening enough to "make ya' want to slap your granny."

The Colt Gold Cup recognized that some early Wolf .45 ACP was pretty garbage-y. I once had 10 boxes of the stuff. Four of them through the Gold Cup and it was choking and harking. The remaining six boxes were happily gobbled up in a 1918 vintage Colt Model 1911 which apparently has a less discriminating palate. This stuff was given to me and, while it was worth it to burn off as range ammo, it didn't impress enough to make me want to seek it out to purchase.

I've also fired a dab of Wolf .223 through the Colt AR 15 and it was gallon-milk-jug-at-200-yards accurate though it was also fairly dirty.

It's just easier to handload for economy.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The very clear and mature way of sharing information on these clips is refreshing. Watching many shooting videos on YouTube is maddening enough to "make ya' want to slap your granny."

The Colt Gold Cup recognized that some early Wolf .45 ACP was pretty garbage-y. I once had 10 boxes of the stuff. Four of them through the Gold Cup and it was choking and harking. The remaining six boxes were happily gobbled up in a 1918 vintage Colt Model 1911 which apparently has a less discriminating palate. This stuff was given to me and, while it was worth it to burn off as range ammo, it didn't impress enough to make me want to seek it out to purchase.

I've also fired a dab of Wolf .223 through the Colt AR 15 and it was gallon-milk-jug-at-200-yards accurate though it was also fairly dirty.

It's just easier to handload for economy.
    Dont you approve of high schoolers dressing up like video game commandos and shooting pumpkins from 5 feet away?

i dont use wolf ammo because i find that the casings warp and theres too many ruptured casings for the 6 boxes of 7.62x54R ive bought. ( 3 in 120 rounds.) Had a real short load too once. 4" drop at 50 yards. One should never have to step on the bolt to extract a casing.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have run many thousands of rounds of Wolf ammo in AR's with no issues to speak of. For plinking or training its always been good to go for me. Its causes no malfunctions or damage to my weapons of any kind. I also have found Wolf to be about as accurate as any lower end brass cased ammo. The steel cases of the Wolf ammo are a soft steel and will do no damage to the hardened steel extractors. That assertion is nothing more than internet fantasy.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Got no beefs here in my little world.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Dont you approve of high schoolers dressing up like video game commandos and shooting pumpkins from 5 feet away?
    Hah! Never realized that we were so cutting edge back then. We were video game commandos before video games were invented. Who knew we could have predicted the advent of video games? Why we could have invented video games...'cept we weren't smart enough.

An old, old scan of a photo of bmcgilvray just out of high school.

And the results.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My Saiga AK has never seen a brass case
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My sks gobbles em up like. Andy, but then again those two were practically made for each other. I prefer the Brown or silver bear as I'm note accurate with it but no complaints from the sks. Never used it in any other caliber or gun.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links