My Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm 124 Grain +P Terminal Test

This is a discussion on My Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm 124 Grain +P Terminal Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had to slow way down on testing this summer due to the heat. Hope it cools off soon. I'm running out of tests to publish. ...

Thread: My Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm 124 Grain +P Terminal test

My Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm 124 Grain +P Terminal test

Had to slow way down on testing this summer due to the heat. Hope it cools off soon. I'm running out of tests to publish. This one was excellent. The load hit all the marks even from a short barrel.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Ballistics testing Winchester Ranger 9mm +P 124 Grain T-Series

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Your results seem impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Very nice write up. Wonder what the 147 grain that I'm currently carrying will do out of my 3.6 inch barrel.

Thanks for the review! This is what's in my wife's Kahr CW9 right now.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    Had to slow way down on testing this summer due to the heat. Hope it cools off soon. I'm running out of tests to publish. This one was excellent. The load hit all the marks even from a short barrel.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Ballistics testing Winchester Ranger 9mm +P 124 Grain T-Series
    Thanks for the test!

Just one question- You list an expanded diameter of 0.731" for the test bullet in your test data.

Is that the maximum or average expansion diameter?
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by 481 View Post
    Thanks for the test!

Just one question- You list an expanded diameter of 0.731" for the test bullet in your test data.

Is that the maximum or average expansion diameter?
    It's the maximum expansion. I keep and catalog all my captured bullets so it won't be hard to go back through and create an average expansion metric if it's needed.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Thanks, Ljutic.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I found a bunch of it for 22 bucks a box and grabbed some. Currently loaded in my Glock 19.

Nice test. But what the heck is in the bottom of your block?
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Nice test. But what the heck is in the bottom of your block?
    Do you mean the top of the block? If you are talking about the side I was cutting into, it's denim threads from previous tests. They sink to the bottom of the mold when recasting the blocks. I think I might need to start straining the SIM-test, but it doesn't impact the results. It just looks ugly.

Well, bottom of the mold. Top of the block. =P

Use a strainer maybe...
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

nice video, do you calibrate your sim test media ?? how many block of test media do you have in that one block ? also did you water it down any ??

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    nice video, do you calibrate your sim test media ?? how many block of test media do you have in that one block ? also did you water it down any ??
    Here's a blog post on SIM-test Prep: Pocket Guns and Gear: SIM-test Terminal Ballistics test Media

Here's another blog post on BB Calibration: Pocket Guns and Gear: Energy Dump & Penetration Data

Nice one. Although the bullet seems to suffer from incomplete expansion. In most cases a bullet will do the most internal damage if it has the opportunity to expand completely before all of its energy is used up. Still, it looks pretty impressive, even without complete expansion.

Links