WARNING!!! EXTREMELY GRAPHIC MATERIAL! A doctor explains wounding effects of 45 v 9mm

WARNING!!! EXTREMELY GRAPHIC MATERIAL! A doctor explains wounding effects of 45 v 9mm

This is a discussion on WARNING!!! EXTREMELY GRAPHIC MATERIAL! A doctor explains wounding effects of 45 v 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 9mm vs .45 vs Rifle A Dr's View of Gunshot Wounds - YouTube This is a 34 minute video of a doctor explaining the various ...

Thread: WARNING!!! EXTREMELY GRAPHIC MATERIAL! A doctor explains wounding effects of 45 v 9mm

Exclamation WARNING!!! EXTREMELY GRAPHIC MATERIAL! A doctor explains wounding effects of 45 v 9mm

9mm vs .45 vs Rifle A Dr's View of Gunshot Wounds - YouTube

This is a 34 minute video of a doctor explaining the various wounding and ballistic effects of the 45 versus the 9mm and then comparing to rifles. There are some very graphic morgue pix including some of the body of JFK post shooting of course. There is some pretty GRAPHIC stuff here but it is fascinating and it is very enlightening on a subject that we have ALL argued extensively! It looks like the final and definitive answers to the age old question for shooters who practice the martial art of *KLIK PAO!*
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Rerun...............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

In for later

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Already covered in another thread.

Either way, he just basically restated the info the FBI put out in 1987, but with minor comparisons to rifle wounds.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Meh... wasn't that graphic.

Good share. I'm glad I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Already covered in another thread.
    Well, I didn't see the other thread. Maybe a bunch of folks didn't either....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I thought it was a pretty comprehensive treatment of the topic- lotsa good info.

Man, that shattered tibia looked like it was excruciating. Talk about a "bad day".
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

What was interesting to me were the x-ray images of the guy shot twice in the chest with .40 JHPs (starts at 17 min mark). One went through a lung and lodged in the guy's back, the other expanded as it went through the sternum, but stopped short of the heart. That's not a lot of penetration. The guy lived. If he had been shot with the much-maligned FMJ, he would likely have been DRT.

I don't know what type of JHP that was, but that poor penetration does concern me. I run FMJ-FP in my .380s, and 158 gr lead SWCs in my .38 Spl. I'll take a full-diameter wound track that has a better chance of penetrating to a JHP that might not penetrate deeply enough - especially in those calibers.

I know the new JHPs are supposed to be "better," and "blessed" by the FBI testing protocol...but real flesh, blood, and bone is not quite the same as ballistic gel.

Hmmm...might have to get a regular rifled aftermarket barrel for my Glocks, and see if they will feed SWCs...

maybe FMJ-FPs
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    What was interesting to me were the x-ray images of the guy shot twice in the chest with .40 JHPs (starts at 17 min mark). One went through a lung and lodged in the guy's back, the other expanded as it went through the sternum, but stopped short of the heart. That's not a lot of penetration. The guy lived. If he had been shot with the much-maligned FMJ, he would likely have been DRT.
    Yeah, it seems very odd that a .40 caliber bullet would only penetrate a few inches, especially when the other bullet reached the spinal area. Maybe there was something that affected the bullet before it penetrated.

That picture of the shattered leg from a 5.56 round was crazy. I wonder if the guy lost his leg. Was it really an FMJ round that caused that? The way the x-ray was presented made it seem like it might have been a LEO and if it was a LEO, I'm not sure they would be carrying FMJ. That x-ray is definitely going to remind me to be especially safe when carrying an AR (or any rifle) in a 1 or 2 point sling configuration. I like having legs. Two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    Yeah, it seems very odd that a .40 caliber bullet would only penetrate a few inches, especially when the other bullet reached the spinal area. Maybe there was something that affected the bullet before it penetrated.

That picture of the shattered leg from a 5.56 round was crazy. I wonder if the guy lost his leg. Was it really an FMJ round that caused that? The way the x-ray was presented made it seem like it might have been a LEO and if it was a LEO, I'm not sure they would be carrying FMJ. That x-ray is definitely going to remind me to be especially safe when carrying an AR (or any rifle) in a 1 or 2 point sling configuration. I like having legs. Two of them.
    Indeed. There are several body parts that I enjoy in pairs and would like to keep that way.

Sponsored Links