What defensive ammo should i use for my xd9 sc?

This is a discussion on What defensive ammo should i use for my xd9 sc? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You didn't put an all of the above button. All these rounds are perfectly fine for self defense as long as they function with your ...

View Poll Results: WHICH ONE WOULD BE BEST FOR MY XD9 SC

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federal HST 9MM 124gr HP hollow point LE ammo

23 38.98%
  • Speer Gold Dot 147 gr 9mm Hollow Point GDHP Ammo

25 42.37%
  • Winchester Ranger 9mm T-Series +P 124 gr HP

11 18.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What defensive ammo should i use for my xd9 sc?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    You didn't put an all of the above button. All these rounds are perfectly fine for self defense as long as they function with your gun. I have tested the 147 Ranger Ts, 147 Gold Dots, and 147 Grain Golden Saber through my Sigs without any problems at all with any of them. With my .40 I have ran 180 grain Gold Dots, 180 grain HST, and 180 grain Bonded Rangers again all without a problem. I normally select what ever is cheapest at the time and I don't feel any of them are better than the other. I would shoot them all and see how your gun likes them. If you still can't decide shoot another box of each. If you still can't decide buy which ever one is cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam623 View Post
    I guess I should of came and asked for your 2 cents before I went and made the purchase. But I've had such a hard time finding the couple different defensive ammo that I jumped on the deal when I was able to get all 3. So here they are...

1 x 50 rd box - 9mm Federal HST 124gr HP hollow point LE ammo P9HST1 - $26.95
    SKU: P9HST1

1 x 50rd - 9mm Speer Gold Dot 147 grain Hollow Point GDHP Ammo 53619 - $25.95
    SKU: 9mmGD147

1 x 50rd - Winchester Ranger 9mm T-Series +P RA9124TP - $26.95
    SKU: RA9124TP

I also have been looking for the Gold Dot in the short barrell but can't seem to find it anywhere. Is it really necessary to be using the short barrell ammo in my sc? If you have used any of these in your sc, what are your thoughts?

Can I run the 147grain Gold Dot through it with no problems?

Just looking for your thoughts here and would really appreciate your input. These are the first defensive rounds I will run through my xd, seeing I just got it in last month. I'm sure someone will have better prices then what I paid, but I've been looking for a couple weeks and have had no luck. So when I saw SGAmmo had all 3 of the ones I had been thinking about getting, I went for it.Thanks again for your thoughts on this matter.

And I'm still looking for a OWB holster for my XD9sc. I'm a little heavy around the love handle section, so if you have any thoughts on what holster works best for that, I would appreciate your 2 cents there also. [/B]

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Author’s Background & Qualifications
    Dr. Roberts is currently on staff at Stanford University Medical Center; this is a large teaching
    hospital and Level I Trauma center were he performs hospital dentistry and surgery. After
    completing his residency at Navy Hospital Oakland in 1989 while on active military duty, he studied
    at the Army Wound Ballistic Research Laboratory at the Letterman Army Institute of Research and
    became one of the first members of the International Wound Ballistic Association. Since then, he
    has been tasked with performing military, law enforcement, and privately funded independent
    wound ballistic testing and analysis. He remains a Navy Reserve officer and has recently served
    on the Joint Service Wound Ballistic IPT, as well as being a consultant to the Joint FBI-USMC
    munitions testing program and the TSWG MURG program. He is frequently asked to provide wound
    ballistic technical assistance to numerous U.S. and allied SOF units and organizations. In addition,
    he is a technical advisor to the Association of Firearms and Toolmark Examiners, as well as to a
    variety of Federal, State, and municipal law enforcement agencies. He has been a sworn Reserve
    Police Officer in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he now he serves in an LE training role.

Look him up under DocGKR, you'll find all sorts of information about him.
    TX expat thanks I couldn't find any info on him.

VIP Member
    Not a problem. The first time I saw that page, I had the same thoughts so I searched around for a while until I got a pretty good idea of his ability to call himself an authority on the subject.

Too bad you didn't get the 147gr HSTs.

All 3 options are very good choices, but the 147(+P) HST is what I choose to carry.
    While the Ranger-T is a good round, I think the HSTs or Gold Dots have a small edge over them because the Ranger-Ts are a little more likely to become clogged with demin in the tests I've seen. I still like Ranger-Ts, but I would choose HSTs over them if I had the choice. HSTs are reliable expanders.

Buy all 3 and shoot 40rds of each box, save 10 JIC you have to load up.

Once you have made your decision on which one shoots best, get a few hundred rounds of that particular brand.

The 124-gr HST, even the 124-gr +P HST, don't quite meet the FBI's minimum 12-in penetration in bare ballistic gelatin criterion. The 124-gr Gold Dots don't quite make it, either. A 147-gr JHP is the only 9 Luger that will both penetrate adequately and expand reliably. See the HST and Gold Dot posters here: LE - Catalogs. See the FBI's recommendations here: FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness - FirearmsTactical.com.

I am still a fan of the Hornady line for defense ammo. But that is just me.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I carry Hornady's Critical Defense/Duty

Federal HST 9mm 147 grn

You should find out the characteristics of the 115,124 & 147 grain in your weapon first and see which one you're comfortable with. I personally carry 124+p HST in my M&P9c.

Not all is equal either in weights. The 124+p HST is a very manageable round in my gun yet the lawman 124 TMJ feels like it has considerably more recoil and follow up shots didn't come as easy.

Any of the ones you selected would be good. i personally use the Speer 147gr in my XDSC. I would recommend trying more than one brand through your XD in case you ever have supply issues for your preferred brand. it's good to know that your firearm will handle multiple defensive rounds reliably.

Listen to Cuda66, his advice is very good. The ones you are testing are all fine. Just make sure they are fine for you. Look at any feed issues , recoil, muzzle flash ( really understated IMO. A flash at nigh will blind you) accuracy etc.

Sent via Mental Power

Aren't you afraid of over penetration with the 147 gr?

I like the heavy grain and standard pressure stuff in most any caliber. IMO, any on your list will do just fine, but outa the three I'd load up the 147gr Gold Dot and call it a day. Does any of the three function in your pistol , that's something you're gonna need to find out during testing.
    sinzitu likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links