What defensive ammo should i use for my xd9 sc?

This is a discussion on What defensive ammo should i use for my xd9 sc? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I should of came and asked for your 2 cents before I went and made the purchase. But I've had such a hard ...

View Poll Results: WHICH ONE WOULD BE BEST FOR MY XD9 SC

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federal HST 9MM 124gr HP hollow point LE ammo

23 38.98%
  • Speer Gold Dot 147 gr 9mm Hollow Point GDHP Ammo

25 42.37%
  • Winchester Ranger 9mm T-Series +P 124 gr HP

11 18.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What defensive ammo should i use for my xd9 sc?

Question What defensive ammo should i use for my xd9 sc?

I guess I should of came and asked for your 2 cents before I went and made the purchase. But I've had such a hard time finding the couple different defensive ammo that I jumped on the deal when I was able to get all 3. So here they are...

1 x 50 rd box - 9mm Federal HST 124gr HP hollow point LE ammo P9HST1 - $26.95
    SKU: P9HST1

1 x 50rd - 9mm Speer Gold Dot 147 grain Hollow Point GDHP Ammo 53619 - $25.95
    SKU: 9mmGD147

1 x 50rd - Winchester Ranger 9mm T-Series +P RA9124TP - $26.95
    SKU: RA9124TP

I also have been looking for the Gold Dot in the short barrell but can't seem to find it anywhere. Is it really necessary to be using the short barrell ammo in my sc? If you have used any of these in your sc, what are your thoughts?

Can I run the 147grain Gold Dot through it with no problems?

Just looking for your thoughts here and would really appreciate your input. These are the first defensive rounds I will run through my xd, seeing I just got it in last month. I'm sure someone will have better prices then what I paid, but I've been looking for a couple weeks and have had no luck. So when I saw SGAmmo had all 3 of the ones I had been thinking about getting, I went for it.Thanks again for your thoughts on this matter.

And I'm still looking for a OWB holster for my XD9sc. I'm a little heavy around the love handle section, so if you have any thoughts on what holster works best for that, I would appreciate your 2 cents there also. [/B]

2. Remove Ads

My XD9 SC has fired everything I have put through it.

I personally carry 147gr Golden Saber.

Id use a combination of both the HST's and Ranger T's every other round ..

They are all good rounds that all perform equally well when placed on target.

So, YOU should choose whichever one your pistol feeds 100% reliably, and you shoot best when rapid firing.

So, take that ammo to the range and find out what works for YOU in YOUR gun, instead of worrying about what works best in some anonymous interwebz guru's gun.
    Brad426 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

So, YOU should choose whichever one your pistol feeds 100% reliably, and you shoot best when rapid firing.

So, take that ammo to the range and find out what works for YOU in YOUR gun, instead of worrying about what works best in some anonymous interwebz guru's gun.
    +1. Three very good rounds. They will all do their jobs as long as you do yours. Go with whichever you and your XD9c shoot the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

+2.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Anymore, premium defense ammo is just that: premium.

They'll all work well.

Of the three options you list, I'd go with the 9mm Speer 147 gr. Gold Dot JHP.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

VIP Member
    I think you should shoot up all three of those boxes and decide which works best for you. All three are solid choices for SD so there is no "right" answer. However, your carry ammo needs to be fully tested in your individual firearm, so you should plan on needing a couple more boxes of whatever you choose.

Personally, I shoot 150-200 rounds of my carry ammo in the firearm I'm planning on carrying it with before I consider it vetted and ready to trust my life with.

Anything but 147's, HST's or Rangers both will work. Don't fall for the 147 BS hype.

Quote Originally Posted by nframe357 View Post
    Anything but 147's, HST's or Rangers both will work. Don't fall for the 147 BS hype.
    What--that in modern design bullets, they expand just as well as lighter weights and penetrate even deeper?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

hollow points.

VIP Member
    9mm
    Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
    Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    9mm
    Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
    Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    I see this posted all the time. Reading it, it says that Dr Roberts conducted these tests. Who is Dr Roberts and why should anyone care about him? I did a quick search and I can't find anything beyond blog sites that really talks about him.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I see this posted all the time. Reading it, it says that Dr Roberts conducted these tests. Who is Dr Roberts and why should anyone care about him? I did a quick search and I can't find anything beyond blog sites that really talks about him.
    Author’s Background & Qualifications (from 2008)
    Dr. Roberts is currently on staff at Stanford University Medical Center; this is a large teaching
    hospital and Level I Trauma center were he performs hospital dentistry and surgery. After
    completing his residency at Navy Hospital Oakland in 1989 while on active military duty, he studied
    at the Army Wound Ballistic Research Laboratory at the Letterman Army Institute of Research and
    became one of the first members of the International Wound Ballistic Association. Since then, he
    has been tasked with performing military, law enforcement, and privately funded independent
    wound ballistic testing and analysis. He remains a Navy Reserve officer and has recently served
    on the Joint Service Wound Ballistic IPT, as well as being a consultant to the Joint FBI-USMC
    munitions testing program and the TSWG MURG program. He is frequently asked to provide wound
    ballistic technical assistance to numerous U.S. and allied SOF units and organizations. In addition,
    he is a technical advisor to the Association of Firearms and Toolmark Examiners, as well as to a
    variety of Federal, State, and municipal law enforcement agencies. He has been a sworn Reserve
    Police Officer in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he now he serves in an LE training role.

Look him up under DocGKR, you'll find all sorts of information about him.
    oneshot likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links