Magic bullets

This is a discussion on Magic bullets within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Really it is quite simple, put as much lead into the target as you can and shoot them to the ground. One of my old ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Magic bullets

Really it is quite simple, put as much lead into the target as you can and shoot them to the ground. One of my old cop friends told his officers who were wining about not being issued the latest uber bullet " When you learn to hit the target I may give you some say into what ammo we use!". Pretty much by anybodies guess at least half the bullets fired at an opponent miss. My opinion is that your money is better spent on practice than fancy bullets.
    OD* likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Here's my honest, researched, highly-qualified opinion on handgun caliber:

If it feels good, do it; if it tastes good, chew it; if it bites back, shoot it.
    Bad Bob likes this.

I really do no wish to continue this chasing of tails. I agree to disagree. Both sides of the argument have valid points and both sides have their faults. Either way we are not getting anywhere. Where you take me wrong is I am not saying gelatine testing is bad, I am just saying that a solid baseline should be established.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post

I really do no wish to continue this chasing of tails. I agree to disagree. Both sides of the argument have valid points and both sides have their faults. Either way we are not getting anywhere.
    Works for me.

Just so we are clear- I bear you no ill will, harbor no resentment towards you. This was, in mind at least, simply a debate and one that I have no emotional investment in- we are all learning here and I seek the truth in substantiable form. I don't make "leaps of faith" easily (as you could probably tell ) a trait that explains my reliance on concrete, numerical proof. If my stubbornness comes off as being anything other than stubbornness, you have my apology for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Where you take me wrong is I am not saying gelatine testing is bad, I am just saying that a solid baseline should be established.
    Actually, I never thought that you had a problem with testing in gel as that is not what we've been discussing in the last page or two. Baselines already exist for the media as produced in manufacturer and in various research projects. Again we agree- baselines are very important.

The issue that we've been discussing all along was the debunking of the M&S "study" by several independent sources- sources that I have provided throughout this discussion. As yet, no one has "debunked the debunkers" so I am content to leave the topic as it stands.

We can disagree.
    Last edited by 481; September 11th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Agreed, but .45 is the best caliber and Gold Dot 230 grain JHP are the best rounds still, right?
    I'll agree to that.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Agreed, but .45 is the best caliber and Gold Dot 230 grain JHP are the best rounds still, right?

whether or not ANY SD ammo is, "the best" is un-knowable and irrelevant. as many posters here have essentially said, carry what YOU have confidence in, and can hit with.

if you got a thousand people to answer your question, and they all agreed with you (and you know that not all of them would), it would still not mean that all of them - and you - were correct. it would just mean that everyone agreed with you. there are innumerable cases throughout history where the widespread opinion of, "what everyone knows to be true", turned out to be be quite wrong.

IMO, it is not useful, in this case, to obsess about having, "the best". like most of us, i have my preferences, but i'd feel quite well armed with ANY current SD ammo from a reputable manufacturer, so long as it fed, fired, and cycled in my gun with 100% reliability and was reasonably accurate.
    SmokinFool and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    whether or not ANY SD ammo is, "the best" is un-knowable and irrelevant. as many posters here have essentially said, carry what YOU have confidence in, and can hit with.

if you got a thousand people to answer your question, and they all agreed with you (and you know that not all of them would), it would still not mean that all of them - and you - were correct. it would just mean that everyone agreed with you. there are innumerable cases throughout history where the widespread opinion of, "what everyone knows to be true", turned out to be be quite wrong.

IMO, it is not useful, in this case, to obsess about having, "the best". like most of us, i have my preferences, but i'd feel quite well armed with ANY current SD ammo from a reputable manufacturer, so long as it fed, fired, and cycled in my gun with 100% reliability and was reasonably accurate.
    That sums it all up very nicely.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links