Federal HST vs HST Government? - Page 2

Federal HST vs HST Government?

This is a discussion on Federal HST vs HST Government? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by multistage Only trouble with HST is that it can be a pain to get, unless you order it. Very true..found a place ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Only trouble with HST is that it can be a pain to get, unless you order it.
    Very true..found a place nearby that stocks them regularly. But, I usually keep the exact location to myself.:)
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

In the lower left of this page -- LE - Catalogs -- there is a link to an HST poster showing penetration for each round and an image of the mushroomed bullet. The FBI spec is a minimum penetration of 12 inches in bare ballistic gelatin. HST expands more than Hydro-Shok, and those sharp petals do much more damage as they buzz saw through to a depth (if you select an appropriate round) that can reach the bad guy's vital organs.

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    I got me a new box of HST's in .45 +p and noticed that the +p rounds are more shallow (hole) than the standard HST I thought it was kinda strange ?? anyone ever notice that ??

Measured the depth of the hollow sections and the +p is 0.1635" standard is 0.2145"
    Faster hollowpoints expand more quickly and don't penetrate as far. Premium hollowpoints are designed to maximize expansion while meeting thr FBI's minimum penetration criterion. A shallower hollowpoint in a faster moving bullet would allow for deeper penetration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links