Federal HST vs HST Government?

This is a discussion on Federal HST vs HST Government? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, whats the difference between: Federal HST: and Federal HST Government Contract: Also how do those rounds compaire to Federal Classic Hi Shok...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal HST vs HST Government?

Federal HST vs HST Government?

Hello, whats the difference between:

Federal HST:
    and
    Federal HST Government Contract:

Also how do those rounds compaire to Federal Classic Hi Shok

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    The contract ammo is likely extra from one of the orders the federal LE placed. The other is their regular LE ammo they sell. I got some 180 grain contract ammo and it functioned great. I don't think you would have any trouble with either. Not to sure about the hi shok other than it is older technology.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Probably none other than it was produced for a Gov't contract at a lower price.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks guys,

Ok how those compared to Federal Hydra Shok?

Acutaly I just found this thread regarding Hydra-Shok vs HST from 2008. Is it still valid?

The Gov contract HST is the same model designator as Border Patrol ammo, and it probably is because the BP just switched to a 180 HST. The HST is probably one of the best HP's on the market today. The BP load is about 100 FPS faster than standard 155's making them about 1200 FPS from a 4" barrel. It is way better than hydroshock.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    The contract ammo is likely extra from one of the orders the federal LE placed. The other is their regular LE ammo they sell.
    Correct. The only difference is most Gov contract HST comes in brass cases instead of nickel.
    Also known as CTD Chris

America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
    http://www.CheaperThanDirt.com

Cant go wrong with either HST's or the older Hydroshocks... both have good results..

Go with the HST's, they perform more reliably then the Hydra-shok.
    --Jason--

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    It's my understanding from various internet report's and my own informal .380 and 9mm gelatin testing that hydra-shoks plug up more often than other more modern rounds. Take that with a large grain of salt, but that's what I've heard and seen.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    It's my understanding from various internet report's and my own informal .380 and 9mm gelatin testing that hydra-shoks plug up more often than other more modern rounds. Take that with a large grain of salt, but that's what I've heard and seen.
    I have heard some reports of this also about the Hydra Shoks. On the other hand the HST's still seem to expand well, even when they pick up a plug of denim. In my opinion, either one will do the job as long as the shot goes where you want it to. Still, my vote would have to go to the HST.

Avoid Hydra-Shoks. They are an obsolete design that should have been discontinued years ago. They easily clog and their performance is regularly disappointing in the testing I see.

The difference between normal HSTs and Gov't HST is the nickle plating.
    I own both normal 180gr HSTs and plain brass Gov't 180gr HSTs. I carry with the normal load (I want nickle plated cases) and the plain brass cased HSTs are my SHTF/practice ammo. I suggest you do the same. You can function test or practice with the plain brass load since it is cheaper and then carry with the normal L.E. load. I recommend the 180gr load. They expand to .80"+ and penetrate 12"-14" in ballistics gel tests.

Hi-shoks are an older, obsolete design. They are pretty plain as far as JHP bullets go, but they have a good track record. I would trust Hi-Shoks more than Hydra-Shocks. If they were cheap I might buy some to stash away, but the HSTs are far superior. HST means "Hi-Shok Two".

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    A pretty box and $5.00!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Only trouble with HST is that it can be a pain to get, unless you order it.

I got me a new box of HST's in .45 +p and noticed that the +p rounds are more shallow (hole) than the standard HST I thought it was kinda strange ?? anyone ever notice that ??

Measured the depth of the hollow sections and the +p is 0.1635" standard is 0.2145"

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    I got me a new box of HST's in .45 +p and noticed that the +p rounds are more shallow (hole) than the standard HST I thought it was kinda strange ?? anyone ever notice that ??

Measured the depth of the hollow sections and the +p is 0.1635" standard is 0.2145"
    According to federal it is the same bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links