+P ammo question

This is a discussion on +P ammo question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed that some +P ammo has less grains of powder that some regular ammo in the same caliber. How do they do this? Steve...

Thread: +P ammo question

+P ammo question

I noticed that some +P ammo has less grains of powder that some regular ammo in the same caliber. How do they do this?

Steve

2. Remove Ads

Well, different powders will give you different results...slow vs fast, etc...

For example, 5 grains of one powder may give you a very sedate velocity, pushing a 124gr bullet, while 5 grains of another would be a borderline grenade...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The most noticeable difference will be with different bullet weights. A lighter bullet will require a faster burning powder, even in +P versions. Take a 9mm. A 124gr load will typically use a faster burning powder than a 147 gr load, which will need a bulkier/slower burning powder. Therefore a +P 124gr load will probably have less powder than a standard pressure 147gr load. When comparing loads of the same bullet weight and pressure levels there should be relatively the same amount of powder, although there will be some variation among the different manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardy53 View Post
    I noticed that some +P ammo has less grains of powder that some regular ammo in the same caliber. How do they do this?

Steve
    Unless you actually disassembled rounds that are from the same maker and caliber and weighed the powder charges on a reloading scale, I believe you are mistaken and are reading bullet weight instead of the charge weight (which ammo manufacturers would never publish... plus most use their own proprietary blends or types of powders not available to the public). Even if you did carefully measure out all of the components, all calibers and loads can use different kinds of powders with different burn rates and pressure curves which would nullify the weighing of powders since they're likely different powders. Manufacturers don't just shove a dipper into a barrel labeled "GUN POWDER".

If a manufacturer was using the same powder for all bullet weights for a particular caliber, the heaviest bullet would have less powder than the lightest bullet. This must be done to prevent the chamber pressures from exceeding the maximum pressure the cartridge was originally designed to operate at. If a load is designed to exceed the published maximum pressure for the standard pressure cartridge (say maybe 10% or less), it would be labeled as +P (designating it as over pressure).

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    Manufacturers don't just shove a dipper into a barrel labeled "GUN POWDER".
    I had a Wile E. Coyote moment when I read that line.

Links