Steel cased Russian made ammo

This is a discussion on Steel cased Russian made ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use it, like it ? Hate it? indifferent?...

Thread: Steel cased Russian made ammo

Anyone use it, like it ? Hate it? indifferent?

Works fine in my SKS, doesn't do so hot in my Glock. The SKS was born and bred to fire that dirty mess, but it makes the Glock hard to stuff a mag up, harder to rack, and it's the only time I ever had any loading/ejection failures. And that was just in one box of 50, which of course was the only box I tried. So a hardcore Russian rifle can eat it right up but a finicky little semi-auto gets indigestion.

Indifferent, for the most part. I use it in my PA-63 (9x18 Mak). No issues, it is dependable. Kel-Tec warns against it in their guns. Check with the mfg'er of any gun you intend to use it in.

VIP Member
    I have used it for years in rifles and pistols without any problems. Yep it is dirty and smells like pig poop/cat pee but it shoots.

As has been said though check with the owners manual/manufacture before using it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    I've burned through unknown thousands of rounds of the junk over the last few years. 'Like Tacman said, it's dirty and smelly but my guns are no worse for the wear.

I'll only use it in my AK-47......and nothing else that I have. Plenty of good reasons why. Each time I get into a lengthy explanation....I seem to get into trouble........so I'll leave it at that. Any time you'd like for me to further explain my opinions on a subject, feel free to PM me. Thanks for your understanding.

I only use it in my Sks wouldn't run it through any of my handguns

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

NMB
    Run it in my AR, 1911, and Kahr. No issues. It smells like cat piss and is dirty, but its done no visible damage to any of my firearms.

You will find the occasional dud round, I would NEVER use it as SD ammo simply due to the quality control. You cant beat it for the range though.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Run it in my AR, 1911, and Kahr. No issues. It smells like cat piss and is dirty, but its done no visible damage to any of my firearms.

You will find the occasional dud round, I would NEVER use it as SD ammo simply due to the quality control. You cant beat it for the range though.
    I use it in my AK-47. As near as I can tell it's actually what an AK was designed to run.

Beware the occasional dude round though. I had one where the primer fired, forced the bullet down the barrel about an inch. If I had simply assumed the mag was empty and inserted another and fired into the rear of the stuck bullet I would have ruined my gun, my hand my face and my day!

When an AK goes "Click" check to see if the expended shell ALL went where it was supposed to!

Hate it. Bought some Tulammo from Walmart (9mm) and it would not feed through our Springfield XD9sc magazines. The problem seems to be that the steel casings don't "slide" against each other very well causing them to stick in the magazine instead of moving up once the top round is stripped off. Gun would fail, I could remove the magazine, turn it upside down and almost all of the rounds would fall out because the bottom round or two would stick holding the spring compressed while the rest of the rounds would have no spring pressure on them and would just fall out. Loading is also difficult because they don't slide against each other well.

I've not had this type of problem with "any" regular brass casing ammo that I've shot with any of my 5 9mm guns.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

only problem I have ever had is a jammed mag where I had to take it apart and force the rounds out with a gun tool. Aside from that not a single issue in my M&P

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I have used it before just for yucks to see if it would run in my guns. Had no issues with it but I won't use it otherwise.

I just got back from a range trip. I ran 120 rounds of TulAmmo through my AR, and 60 through my G19. The polymer stuff is MUCH better than the laquer stuff.

Links