What 357sig round?

What 357sig round?

This is a discussion on What 357sig round? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought a Glock 32 and was looking at some ammo but am unsure what to get. I'm seeing only 124 and 147 grain rounds in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What 357sig round?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

What 357sig round?

Bought a Glock 32 and was looking at some ammo but am unsure what to get. I'm seeing only 124 and 147 grain rounds in jhp, have seen some much lighter rounds but I don't think I want an 80 or 90 grain bullet but the speeds are impressive.

My main purpose is self defense and home defense. Currently have hordney 147s but was looking at some gold dots and they have both weights with 147s being a bit more.

When carrying a 9mm I almost always had 147s in the +p flavor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Well, consider that the .357 Magnum round in 125 grain JHP has about the best record on the street as a fight-stopper, and the .357 Sig was designed to emulate the performance of the .357 mag, you might just zero in on the 125 grain loads and call it a day.

I'm too tired to look up reference data right now, but IIRC in .357 Mag the 158 gr JHP was killer, not a stopper, and the 158 gr soft point (JSP) was a penetrator, better suited to hunting 4-legged animals.

Until you have good reason to choose otherwise, I'd stick with the 125 JHPs for now.
    sensei2, Sky Pilot and Bad Bob like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

the Speer Gold Dot 125 grain .357SIG is by far, the most street tested SD round in that caliber. results have been impressive, and i've read that the officers who use it are very satisfied. see American Handgunner, Nov-Dec 2012, pg.76.
    Bad Bob and Sky Pilot like this.

Yep. Gold Dot all the way.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

VIP Member
    Speer Gold Dot: tested. Proven. Trusted. What more is there to say, gasmitty? Seriously, what data are you too tired to look up? gasmitty? Well, experts agree: Speer GD 125 JHP is the way to go.
    Another interesting article is:
    .357 SIG
    In the early ‘90s, spurred by Texas troopers and rangers who loved the SIG .45 pistol, but missed that “lightning bolt” stopping power effect of their old .357 Magnum revolvers, SIG worked with Federal Cartridge to create the .357 SIG round. It resembles a .40 S&W necked down to 9mm, though the actual construction is somewhat more complicated than that. Different companies load to different velocities, and depending on pistol and barrel, factory 125-grain JHPs are delivering 1,325 to over 1,400 fps.

High-tech bullets that open rapidly, but stay together seem to work best in this caliber. The most widely proven is the Gold Dot. From Texas to Virginia, it has been kicking butt with no horror stories of stopping failures. New Mexico State Troopers fell in love with the .357 SIG a few years ago, and stayed with that cartridge when they ordered their new S&W M&P auto pistols. North Carolina Highway Patrol gave up its beloved Beretta pistols after more than 20 years to adopt the SIG Sauer, because they could get it chambered for .357 SIG.

Gunfights indicate that this cartridge is particularly good for shooting through auto sheet metal and window glass, yet does not deliver on the street the dangerous over-penetration that some gelatin tests had indicated might happen. The spent, expanded bullets are normally recovered from the far side of the criminal’s body, or from his clothing, or from the ground within a few feet behind where he was located when shot.

Winchester Ranger in 125-grain .357 SIG has worked well in actual shootings. Remington Bonded Golden Saber in 125-grain .357 SIG is deliciously accurate, and performs superbly in FBI protocol gelatin testing, though I haven’t run across any actual shootings with it yet. The overwhelming majority of .357 SIG shootings by police have occurred with the 125-grain Speer Gold Dot, and it has worked so well it is unquestionably the most “street proven” load in this caliber.
    sensei2, Sky Pilot and grouse like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

One of my hands down favorite rounds.

Sent from my palm device
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Great replies and thanks for the article text.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

In a gunfight, I'd rather have 125-grain .357 SIG Gold Dots in my favorite EDC than any other caliber in any other handgun that I own. And I have two U.S. Air Marshal shooting buddies who feel exactly the same way.
    Bad Bob and Sky Pilot like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here is a link to Double Tap and their running a special for their 10 years annv!

DoubleTap Ammunition

Copied from email I received:

To celebrate 10yrs and to celebrate you, the customers who got us there, we are offering a 15% discount on all items until September 17th, 2012.

Just type in the promo code box: DT10YEAR

PS- yes, you are welcome to use the promo code again even if you have taken advantage of the sale already.

Mike McNett
    President
    Doubletap Ammunition

End of copy

I personally carry either Winchester Ranger T-Series or the DT 147gr. Gold Dot is another standard.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Gold Dots for my M&P and G32.

I looked at the Double tap, but may go with Gold Dots, seems to be the choice of most.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I use Underwood GD 125's at 1540 FPS.... Gotta love the 357 Sig....
    Poseidon likes this.

VIP Member
    GD's or Federal HST
    kmagnuss likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

the 147 gr Hornady's will give you better penetration than the 125's and that is what I carry in my Glock 32.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I carry Hornady and Winchester JHP's, 125's. I don't worry about it too much. With 357 Sig, you are starting out where the best 9mm Luger rounds leave off anyway, so I think it's a question of do you want "really good" or "great". As long as it is good quality ammo in a "normal" bullet weight, and I'd say JHP for about everything except hog, it's hard to go wrong.

Love the 357 Sig!
    oneshot likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links