Winchester Target 9mm FMJ Duds question

This is a discussion on Winchester Target 9mm FMJ Duds question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When we can find the 100 round Winchester white boxs at Wal-Mart, we buy them up. They seem to have the best prices for practice ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By miller_man

Thread: Winchester Target 9mm FMJ Duds question

Question Winchester Target 9mm FMJ Duds question

When we can find the 100 round Winchester white boxs at Wal-Mart, we buy them up. They seem to have the best prices for practice rounds. My son is shooting a S&W SD-9. Yesterday he went to the range, shot 50 rounds of Federal with no issues. He changes over to the Winchester white box and out of about 75 rounds, 10 didn't fire. He was asking me if it was his firing pin, I'm leaning toward bad primers. He is waiting on a response from Winchester. I have had an occasional dud with the white box, but for the price and practice only, not an issue for me. When about 10% of the rounds don't fire, time to figure out what's going on. It's not his carry round, just practice. Any one else experience any problems with these target rounds?
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I shoot them every once in awhile, 9 mm through Glocks, and have never experienced a problem.

Correction: One potential problem. Both rounds in the photo came out of my last box of WWB. Notice the difference in lengths:
    Salyer 015.JPG
    Last edited by Mike1956; September 13th, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Never had problems with Winchester white box could be just "bad batch"

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I've had good results with them.

I don't buy much practice ammo any more, as I handload my own. When I was buying factory ammo I never had any problems with Winchester white Box, but I did have an occasional problem with American Eagle and Remington.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TailRunner View Post
    When we can find the 100 round Winchester white boxs at Wal-Mart, we buy them up. They seem to have the best prices for practice rounds. My son is shooting a S&W SD-9. Yesterday he went to the range, shot 50 rounds of Federal with no issues. He changes over to the Winchester white box and out of about 75 rounds, 10 didn't fire. He was asking me if it was his firing pin, I'm leaning toward bad primers. He is waiting on a response from Winchester. I have had an occasional dud with the white box, but for the price and practice only, not an issue for me. When about 10% of the rounds don't fire, time to figure out what's going on. It's not his carry round, just practice. Any one else experience any problems with these target rounds?
    I just sent back my Sig due to light primer strikes on WWB which I got at Wallyworld. Now I'm kinda wondering if it was the ammo.

Distinguished Member
    I've shot hundreds of rounds of it, don't ever recall having any bad primers. That does seem pretty high out of just 100 rounds, I would be thinking a bad box too. Thats enough rounds that it would tick me off, thats 10 shots you don't get that you paid for, lol!
    Poseidon likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links