Prairie Storm/Black cloud question

This is a discussion on Prairie Storm/Black cloud question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about the SD performance of Prairie Storm or Black Cloud. I know all about how buck is ...

Thread: Prairie Storm/Black cloud question

Prairie Storm/Black cloud question

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about the SD performance of Prairie Storm or Black Cloud. I know all about how buck is a better stopper (and I have it for reloads) but I have a big concern about over penetration. I hear about how Black Cloud does a lot of damage when duck hunting and thought it might be an improvement over traditional bird shot. Does anyone know of any jello tests or have any experience with these loads?? Again I know it's bird shot so please don't say how buck/slugs are preferred. I'm just wondering if one of these two would have an advantage over traditional shot.
    Thanks
    Mark

2. Remove Ads

IMHO at SD ranges I would expect heavier "LEAD" shot to penetrate deeper than lighter shot and at 30 feet or less you don't have to worry about holes in your shot pattern
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The "Flite Control" wad in the premium loads from Federal keeps the shot together longer and maximizes the amount of shot on target. If I needed to use birdshot for SD or HD, I would use a big charge of the shot available with the Flite Control wad. IIRC there's a #2 or #4 load in one of those lines.

In any case, take whatever you choose out to the range with a huge sheet of patterning paper and a bucket packed full of wet newspaper. That should tell you what you want to know.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I use Black Cloud exclusively for duck hunting along with 2 other guys. We've shot around 100 ducks the last two seasons and I've butchered almost all of them. Black Cloud does drop them almost immediately on hit, but it doesn't always kill them. When I butcher the duck, I've found that some of the shot barely penetrated their skin. I wouldn't rely on it to stop a person.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Links