SD round for 45 colt, recommend - Page 2

SD round for 45 colt, recommend

This is a discussion on SD round for 45 colt, recommend within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MrBuckwheat, these are a copy of the RCBS 270 SAA bullet with a hollow point added. Solid they are 270 grs and in hollow point ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SD round for 45 colt, recommend

MrBuckwheat, these are a copy of the RCBS 270 SAA bullet with a hollow point added. Solid they are 270 grs and in hollow point are 250+ grs. The mold is from MP mp molds.

Wouldn't those moulded heavy bullets be a potential issue if God forbid, you had to use your gun in a defensive situation.
    Last edited by donp326; September 21st, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    Wouldn't those moulded heavy bullets be a potential issue if God forbid, you had to use you gun in a defensive situation.
    I am fairly sure that shooting a person is the act that has the most potential for "issues" or problems. So no I am not worried in the least about what type of ammo I use to shoot some one in defense of my family or property. But I live in Texas and we do not care what you shoot some one with as long as you are legal to shoot him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamour View Post
    I am fairly sure that shooting a person is the act that has the most potential for "issues" or problems. So no I am not worried in the least about what type of ammo I use to shoot some one in defense of my family or property. But I live in Texas and we do not care what you shoot some one with as long as you are legal to shoot him.
    I have read (Ayoob SP?) that splatter tests can only be compared to commercially available rounds Winchester and Federal for example but cannot be done with "Home Reloaded" ammo. as there is no standard for those. Now if the police don't do those splatter tests in Texas I guess you fine. That's the main reason I use a Winchester Ranger T in my carry gun and only practice with reloads.
    Sarg80
    Mauser HSc BUG

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    Wouldn't those moulded heavy bullets be a potential issue if God forbid, you had to use your gun in a defensive situation.
    Probably not, the .45 Colt (not .45ACP) was originally loaded with 250/255 grain bullets.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Probably not, the .45 Colt (not .45ACP) was originally loaded with 250/255 grain bullets.
    I know the OP used "45 Colt" in his original statement but all the first answers seem to be 45ACP oriented. The cast bullets mentioned seemed to be a little heavy got the ACP anyway and I now realize that we are talking about a different caliber. Since there is commercially loaded 45 Colt, I have understood it's better to use commercial loads than reloaded ammo in your carry gun no matter what the caliber.
    Sarg80
    Mauser HSc BUG

I'd feel very well armed with a .45 Colt revolver filled with 255 grain lead semi-wadcutters handloaded over 8.5 grains of Unique for a velocity of around 835 fps (from a 5 1/2-inch Colt New Service barrel). Same bullet with 9.0 grains takes velocity up near 900 fps.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The OP asked for a good bullet to be used in an older caliber, in an old revolver design. The RCBS SAA design bullet is engineered to fit the SAA revolver better than previous SWC designs. This particular mold maker has a hollow point option as well. If you lower the tin content of the bullets you will get expansion at lower velocities than you can get with jacketed bullets. The SWC design gives a good flat nose so if no expansion happens you still get good energy transfer. The 255 gr SWC works just fine also as previously stated by other posters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links